Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welcome! Please introduce yourself...
Yep2Happy
post Nov 27 2010, 12:44 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,250

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ Nov 26 2008, 09:28 AM) *

Please take a minute to introduce yourself...

How did you start writing/programming for the web? I started today. I'm a complete novice and I've been watching (don't laugh) Youtube to design my own website for free. I follow instructions well and know a few things about the internet. It's program designing that is difficult. Many years ago I could just use a template, uploaded it to the web browser and it was all done. Now it seems I can't do that. So, I'm starting from scratch.

What kind of web-related projects do you work on? Just this website. I have so many questions. I have the first page done but it looks boring. Where are all the fancy fonts? Can I use a template once I've started designing everything with HTML? Heck, are there any templates? How do I get a second page with HTML?

Do you have any other interests? I'm an online English teacher looking to do a small startup business. I have so many ideas and so little experience with HTML. HELP! smile.gif

[Information about web companies should be posted elsewhere; this thread is for people to introduce themselves.]

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Nov 27 2010, 01:56 AM
Post #22

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Welcome. smile.gif
User is offlinePM
Tomkeller
post Dec 9 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 13,357

Hi my name is Tom and I am new here
User is offlinePM
Bgomez1990
post Mar 15 2011, 11:54 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 14,141

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ Nov 26 2008, 09:28 AM) *

Please take a minute to introduce yourself...

How did you start writing/programming for the web?
What kind of web-related projects do you work on?
Do you have any other interests?

[Information about web companies should be posted elsewhere; this thread is for people to introduce themselves.]
Hey there Darin my names Beau I'm new to the web design language I'm trying to get into this because it's very intersting and challenging in a way. Why I'm contacting you is because I'm looking for some pointers just some foot notes and where and how to take my first step in this computer world. As far as I know you can start your formating on Notepad but, how do I go about previewing what I am creating???
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Mar 16 2011, 12:06 AM
Post #25

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

I preview my work in a browser. If I'm doing anything with page layout or design, then I preview in all the browsers I have on my system, and then borrow a system with MSIE to make sure it doesn't butcher it too badly.
User is offlinePM
Bgomez1990
post Mar 16 2011, 12:18 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 14,141

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ Mar 16 2011, 12:06 AM) *

I preview my work in a browser. If I'm doing anything with page layout or design, then I preview in all the browsers I have on my system, and then borrow a system with MSIE to make sure it doesn't butcher it too badly.

How is it that I go about doing all that. I am a virgin when it comes to these things.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 16 2011, 05:43 AM
Post #27

🌟Computer says no🌟

Start with installing the latest versions of all browsers that run on your system.
User is offlinePM
jimlongo
post Mar 16 2011, 11:55 AM
Post #28

This is My Life

Member No.: 16

How is it that I go about doing all that. I am a virgin when it comes to these things.

First figure out how to display that file you made in Notepad in the browser you already have.

Since I'm not on that platform I can't tell you . . . maybe you can drag'n'drop the file on your browser, or use the File>Open menu.

Then try some tutorials.
User is offlinePM
crowdogs
post Mar 17 2011, 06:41 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 11,731

... I'm trying to get into this because it's very intersting and challenging in a way.

Bgomez1990,
It is very interesting and challenging, and becoming more so everyday. At least I find it to be.

But Notepad? These guys with all the pip's under their avatar can build a web page with their monitors turned off. I, on the other hand find an editor, like Dreamweaver, to be a pleasant and helpful aid. I've said it here before and I'll say it again: Though I use code view extensively, design view is among other things a quick way to view your work and a much appreciated tool for my development. The website development that is.

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 17 2011, 06:53 PM
Post #30

🌟Computer says no🌟

Notepad isn't a bad choice actually. Maybe it's a matter of disposition, but I actually learn and understand better when I have to type everything manually. You know, a little like when in school taking notes made more of it stick, even if you never looked at those notes later. When you learn a new (computer) language typing also forces you to take note of all the details like how quotes are used, different types of brackets and parenthesis, case and whatnot. When you leave something out or do something wrong otherwise and it doesn't work you notice it's there and what it is and hopefully you'll remember.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Mar 18 2011, 09:20 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 7

In the long run using Notepad is not very efficient, though. Rather you should use a more advanced text editor with features such as a clip book, so you don't have to type common code snippets again and again.
User is offlinePM
jimlongo
post Mar 18 2011, 10:18 AM
Post #32

This is My Life

Member No.: 16

Yeah it also helps to have syntax color coding of some sort.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 18 2011, 10:24 AM
Post #33

🌟Computer says no🌟

Sure, but that doesn't matter for the fundamental value of typing markup or any other kind of "code" when learning.*) You don't learn quicker or better because you have whiz-bang editor.

Finding a favourite editor isn't an easy task either, takes time searching and testing. Maybe it's better to use what you already have to begin with and spend the energy on learning. Once you are a bit on the way you also have a better picture of what you look for in an editor.

*) Later you type because it's quicker. happy.gif
User is offlinePM
emiliapeper
post Mar 23 2011, 08:09 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 14,189

Hi im emilia peper im from Denmark I work as Graphic designer in a company called UrFilez.
User is offlinePM
KenA
post Mar 31 2011, 06:51 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 14,245

Hi all, I'm Ken from Scotland.
Ive been doing website design for a number of years just as a hobby for friends, now starting to learn and study properly in the hopes of setting up my own business.

Always looking to learn new information and with HTML5 and CSS3 in the mainstream, Ive got lots more to learn smile.gif
User is offlinePM
Chris Martucci
post Apr 8 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #36

Unregistered

Wow, I guess I never introduced myself?

My name is Chris Martucci. I'm a senior in college (graduating this month). I'm 22 years old, and I live in Saint Augustine, Florida, with my girlfriend. I spend most of my time reading and writing for my blog.

I know some html and css (enough to get by). This forum has been very helpful so far.
lowriderSTi
post Jul 23 2011, 06:26 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 15,003

Hey guys,
I'm low, a 21 year old freelance. I found this forum accidentally and it seems really nice.

I hope I'll enjoy my time here.
User is offlinePM
jomac77
post Sep 3 2011, 07:19 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 15,313

Hi,
I am Joy Joseph, Staying at Mumbai, INDIA. I am freelancer of Web Design, Graphic Design, Data Conversion and Data Entry job.
One of my client need a Web Design which can add new members in their site. Could you please help me with the source code? If you have any kind of above mentioned work I can do it very cheap.
Thanks and Kind Regards
Joy Joseph
User is offlinePM
burghhouse
post Oct 11 2011, 10:31 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 15,603

I'm John. I do websites for people on St. Helena. Details at
CODE
http://websites.burghhouse.com
[code] and at http://websites.moonbeamsforall.com
User is offlinePM
vanne
post Oct 11 2011, 04:50 PM
Post #40

Novice

Member No.: 15,570

I was a dog trainer, a good friend of mine was also a dgo trainer. She quit and gave me her website and company name. I learned to code on the fly. The site was beautiful but this horrible mess of frames inside of frames inside of frames. (Her controlling ex-husband tried to build it so no one else could edit it, lol)I knew absolutely nothing about computers, but began learning out of desparation. I remember spending most of a week at the computer, slowly going through the coade, deleting one tag at a time to find it on the page, and then put a comment before the tag. I started to learn what some meant. smile.gif

Now I'm working on a website for my fiance's business. I'm learning more every day!

Other interests are sidewalk chalk art, pumpkin carving, and piano.
User is offlinePM

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th March 2024 - 09:29 PM