Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How bad is Win 10?
pandy
post Oct 14 2017, 12:49 AM
Post #81

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

You also have HDD drives, don't you? I have Windows and the few programs I've gotten around to install on C (SSD) and documents on D (HDD) and think I'll have photos and some other largish stuff on E (HDD).

I notice that when I save an ordinary text document on D it sometimes takes time, maybe 5 or 6 seconds. On XP it was instant. Is this Win10's doing? Does it need to perform some stupid security checks when not saving on C? I can't think it's because of the HDD itself. It was fast enough a few weeks ago...
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Oct 14 2017, 04:14 AM
Post #82

Member No.: 7

No that's not normal. Is that one of your old HDDs (from XP?), did it come with the PC or did you buy it and install yourself?
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Oct 14 2017, 11:55 AM
Post #83

Programming Fanatic

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,088

I think that delay in saving files is because Win10 defaults to save on OneDrive (cloud). See https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fi...1e-8c8e8ca70ac7
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 14 2017, 07:02 PM
Post #84

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Christian J @ Oct 14 2017, 11:14 AM) *

No that's not normal. Is that one of your old HDDs (from XP?), did it come with the PC or did you buy it and install yourself?

It's from my old puter. It was D there too and saving was instant.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 14 2017, 07:03 PM
Post #85

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(CharlesEF @ Oct 14 2017, 06:55 PM) *

I think that delay in saving files is because Win10 defaults to save on OneDrive (cloud). See https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Fi...1e-8c8e8ca70ac7

No *beep*! And that can't be turned off? But if I save to C (SSD), saving is instant. How does that add up?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 14 2017, 07:05 PM
Post #86

🌟Computer says no🌟

Beep should be another word for *beep*. cool.gif

I'm seriously contemplating to get Win7 and start over. I haven't installed many programs so no big deal. It' would buy me at least to years and by then Win10 may be superseded by something more reasonable - or something even worse. wacko.gif

Excuse me for any typos. I'm for once quite pleasantly pissed. cool.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 14 2017, 07:06 PM
Post #87

🌟Computer says no🌟

s*h*i*t ninja.gif
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Oct 14 2017, 08:09 PM
Post #88

Programming Fanatic

QUOTE(pandy @ Oct 14 2017, 07:03 PM) *

No *beep*! And that can't be turned off? But if I save to C (SSD), saving is instant. How does that add up?

I think it only affects documents and pictures. Yes, according to the link it can be changed to PC only.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 14 2017, 08:44 PM
Post #89

🌟Computer says no🌟

I meant to read it tomorrow. But I read it now. I've already disabled the cloud thingy. Then its settings shouldn't matter. Or?

I don't find Cloud in settings. So I can't peak at its settings or turn it on again. Maybe I'll figure it out tomorrow. blush.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 15 2017, 04:41 AM
Post #90

QUOTE(pandy @ Oct 15 2017, 02:02 AM) *

It's from my old puter. It was D there too and saving was instant.

An old HDD like that seems likely to start making read/write errors. This may or may not be the cause of those strange icon glitches as well. Don't know if the delays are a sign it's about to break down, but run chkdsk on it just in case. I'd probably get a new one anyway (and make backups of course).

A few other ideas (but I don't know much about this):

- File system bugs between WinXP and Win10.

- Incompatibility between the new PC and older HDD models.

- A loose connector somewhere.

- Insufficient cooling.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 15 2017, 04:45 AM
Post #91

QUOTE(pandy @ Oct 15 2017, 02:03 AM) *

No *beep*! And that can't be turned off?

Sure it can, in any case I think you need to associate your devices with a MS account for Onedrive to work. I uninstalled it first thing. wacko.gif
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Oct 15 2017, 11:26 AM
Post #92

Programming Fanatic

Well, maybe that is not your problem after all. Just thought I'd mention it.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 15 2017, 05:52 PM
Post #93

🌟Computer says no🌟

It can happen on E as well, it's just that I haven't saved there more than a few times. Both drives aren't likely to go bad at the same time. And it doesn't always happen. Oh well, it seems Win10 just doesn't like me. It's mutual. glare.gif
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Oct 15 2017, 10:20 PM
Post #94

Programming Fanatic

Is there a chance the 2 drives have spun down (power saver mode), from not being used? If yes, then it would take some time to spin back up to save a file
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 16 2017, 04:28 AM
Post #95

Also pandy mentioned one of the disks were Read Only when first installed, makes you wonder if it's related somehow.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 16 2017, 05:13 AM
Post #96

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(CharlesEF @ Oct 16 2017, 05:20 AM) *

Is there a chance the 2 drives have spun down (power saver mode), from not being used? If yes, then it would take some time to spin back up to save a file

Yes, that could be the case sometimes, but not always. Or maybe, if it happens faster than I'm used to. I'm not very productive on this machine as you may have understood, so I don't save that often. Is there a setting for that, for individual drives I mean? I'll try to search the peculiar settings app (is it an app?)
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 16 2017, 05:18 AM
Post #97

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Christian J @ Oct 16 2017, 11:28 AM) *

Also pandy mentioned one of the disks were Read Only when first installed, makes you wonder if it's related somehow.

Yes and that was actually D.

BTW I have been contemplating to get a new drive as you suggested, a second SSD. I have room for that. And sort of divide documents between drives. Keep the more active stuff on the SSD and have the current D more for storage. But they are pricy those things and the computer alone was a setback. Alternatively get a new HDD. I can always use the current D for storage outside the computer. I have one of those USB racks, don't remember what they are called.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 16 2017, 05:21 AM
Post #98

🌟Computer says no🌟

Talking about that, Win10 still doesn't let me get access to the occasional folder of file. But I found a reg hack that added "Take ownership" to the context menu and that fixes it every time. The peculiar thing is that I ran it on every folder when I installed it. wacko.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 16 2017, 05:27 AM
Post #99

🌟Computer says no🌟

Imagine I actually hated XP too at first. I was sort of forced to get it, for the same reason I got 10 now. But I must confessed that in that case I was influenced by the XP hate that was widespread at the time. I don't think it was bad at all. But 2000 was my favourite. And actually 95 for its ease of use. cool.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 16 2017, 10:11 AM
Post #100

QUOTE(pandy @ Oct 16 2017, 12:13 PM) *

Is there a setting for that, for individual drives I mean? I'll try to search the peculiar settings app (is it an app?)

I don't know, I only have one HDD. Go to Settings > Power > Additional settings (top right) > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings, and there you can't find the settings for turning off the HDD. blink.gif I use the High Performance preset, and in there the HDD is set to turn off after 0 minutes (=never). IIRC it's healthier for HDDs to run all time.

BTW I have been contemplating to get a new drive as you suggested, a second SSD. I have room for that. And sort of divide documents between drives. Keep the more active stuff on the SSD and have the current D more for storage. But they are pricy those things and the computer alone was a setback. Alternatively get a new HDD.

When it comes to speed, SSD is not worth it for document or even movies, IMO. Maybe it's more reliable than HDD though, time will tell.

I can always use the current D for storage outside the computer. I have one of those USB racks, don't remember what they are called.

Run chkdsk on it just in case, even though it usually takes hours. If it's starting making errors maybe it's not reliable anymore. My old PC's HDD started getting more errors the last couple of years, I recall it messed up the .ini file for my Opera browser.

Talking about that, Win10 still doesn't let me get access to the occasional folder of file.

Can't remember any such problems, except that XAMPP was not allowed access to the Documents folder for security reasons.

Imagine I actually hated XP too at first.

Seems we found the common denominator! tongue.gif I liked both XP and Vista. Win95 was terrible due to the slow hardware at the time, other than that I can't remember much about it.
User is offlinePM

22 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:15 AM