Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How bad is Win 10?
CharlesEF
post Oct 16 2017, 12:47 PM
Post #101

Programming Fanatic

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,088

Other than the setting in the 'Power Plan', I'm not sure how to prevent other drives from going to sleep. Maybe that 1 setting controls all HDD's?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Oct 16 2017, 01:59 PM
Post #102

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

Separate controls sounds like overkill to me. But will all HDDs be awakened at the same time, or separately when needed?
User is offlinePM
CharlesEF
post Oct 16 2017, 07:34 PM
Post #103

Programming Fanatic

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,088

Seems to me 1 setting can control all drives. I did not write Windows and MS didn't ask for my help. But, if I did write it I would use 1 setting for all drives. The sleep clock starts when a drive is finished reading/writing. The sleep clock resets when the drive is accessed. Therefore, only drives that are needed will wake up, not all at once.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 17 2017, 06:07 AM
Post #104

🌟Computer says no🌟

Member No.: 6

I think they awake separately, at least they used to. I could hear that on my old machine. Probably on this too, but I haven't payed attention to it.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 18 2017, 04:27 AM
Post #105

What sleep settings did you use? Any progress?

BTW there's a major update due any day now...
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 18 2017, 07:51 AM
Post #106

🌟Computer says no🌟

I haven't changed that. It's set to 30 minutes.

I'm actually contemplating reinstalling Windows. I don't think all these problems (and I haven't mentioned all) feels normal. I ran the error checking tool at an early stage. It found errors and said it corrected them. Made no difference. But errors in a fresh install doesn't feel normal.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 18 2017, 10:22 AM
Post #107

Leave the HDDs running to rule out that possibility.

There's a Windows Reset option in Updates and Security > Recovery, that supposedly reinstalls Windows but still lets you keep your files (so it seems different from the old Restore feature). It can also be found in Defender > Device performance & Health > Fresh Start. Might be worth a try (though one wonders why it's called different things in different places).

But if you got a hardware problem, reinstalling Windows won't help. It doesn't have to be the HDDs either. You might check the RAM with memtest86, don't know how to test other components alas.

Also, reinstalling Windows won't help if there's something wrong with the Windows installation file/disc, so you might download a new copy just in case.

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 18 2017, 04:34 PM
Post #108

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Christian J @ Oct 18 2017, 05:22 PM) *

Leave the HDDs running to rule out that possibility.

You mean disable sleep?

There's a Windows Reset option in Updates and Security > Recovery, that supposedly reinstalls Windows but still lets you keep your files (so it seems different from the old Restore feature). It can also be found in Defender > Device performance & Health > Fresh Start. Might be worth a try (though one wonders why it's called different things in different places).

From what I've read Reset is not reinstall. It just sets everything back to the state it was before you started to fiddle with things.

But if you got a hardware problem, reinstalling Windows won't help. It doesn't have to be the HDDs either. You might check the RAM with memtest86, don't know how to test other components alas.

I don't think it's a hardware problem. Don't see how that could have this effect. Or all of these effects, I should say. BTW another thing is that all of a sudden keyboard shortcuts (to run programs) are lost. They are back after reboot. unsure.gif

Also, reinstalling Windows won't help if there's something wrong with the Windows installation file/disc, so you might download a new copy just in case.

Yeah, that what I thought I would do. Put it on a USB stick. Or there seems to be an option to run the installation directly if Win10 is already installed. Hmm. Can't format then, I suppose. But that shouldn't be needed.

I'll see. I'll give it a little more time. It's actually like kind of vacation not not have access to all your programs. If I wait too long the amount of email that will pour down will kill me though. Just use webmail for now.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 18 2017, 05:56 PM
Post #109

QUOTE(pandy @ Oct 18 2017, 11:34 PM) *

You mean disable sleep?

Yes. Disable all the energy save features, except for the monitor maybe. Seems the Advanced power save settings let you do things to PCI Express and USB as well. unsure.gif

From what I've read Reset is not reinstall. It just sets everything back to the state it was before you started to fiddle with things.

Apparently Reset and Fresh Start are two different things: https://www.howtogeek.com/265054/how-to-eas...-the-bloatware/ but yes the linked page doesn't sound like even Fresh Start actually downloads anything new.

There are also several Troubleshoot programs you might try, but I suppose one needs to know what to troubleshoot first.

I don't think it's a hardware problem. Don't see how that could have this effect. Or all of these effects, I should say.

Those duplicate desktop.ini icons (and the unclickable ones) sounded like disk write errors from what I've read (are they still like that?). Maybe lost permissions could be due to corrupted config files as well, but admittedly I barely know anything about HDDs. Also, would any of those files be kept on the HDD and not the SSD? I know even less about SSDs...

If the RAM isn't working properly maybe data can get corrupted before it's saved to disk, but then I guess you'd also get more serious problems like unstable programs.

BTW another thing is that all of a sudden keyboard shortcuts (to run programs) are lost. They are back after reboot. unsure.gif

Is it a USB or wireless keyboard, and is the connection OK? Have you installed its driver (probably needed for special buttons)?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 18 2017, 06:56 PM
Post #110

🌟Computer says no🌟

I don't think it's a hardware problem. Don't see how that could have this effect. Or all of these effects, I should say.

Those duplicate desktop.ini icons (and the unclickable ones) sounded like disk write errors from what I've read (are they still like that?). Maybe lost permissions could be due to corrupted config files as well, but admittedly I barely know anything about HDDs. Also, would any of those files be kept on the HDD and not the SSD? I know even less about SSDs...

All icons are on the desktop, so on C, the SSD. The not clickable icons were file icons. File assosiations didn't stick, but that corrected itself apart from Photos not wanting to let go, but I uninstalled it to punish it. There may still be problems with other file types. I haven't gotten very far...

If the RAM isn't working properly maybe data can get corrupted before it's saved to disk, but then I guess you'd also get more serious problems like unstable programs.

Yeah, everything is just dandy, except Windows don't want to obey me.

BTW another thing is that all of a sudden keyboard shortcuts (to run programs) are lost. They are back after reboot. unsure.gif

Is it a USB or wireless keyboard, and is the connection OK? Have you installed its driver (probably needed for special buttons)?

USB and it has never needed any drivers. If the keyboard were the problem I wouldn't be able to type and I am. Windows all of a sudden seems to forget the keybord shortcuts I've assigned to different programs. All of them, at the same time. When I reboot it's fine again. It may or may not happen the next session.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 18 2017, 07:40 PM
Post #111

🌟Computer says no🌟

Forgot to say, the two desktop.ini files are normal. Here's one page that explains it.
https://www.howtogeek.com/198704/why-are-th...ndows-desktops/
Still don't get how two files with exactly the same name can exist side by side. Or that you don't have two.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 19 2017, 05:22 AM
Post #112

QUOTE(pandy @ Oct 19 2017, 01:56 AM) *

USB and it has never needed any drivers. If the keyboard were the problem I wouldn't be able to type and I am. Windows all of a sudden seems to forget the keybord shortcuts I've assigned to different programs. All of them, at the same time.

AFAIK mice with special buttons only work if you install special software, are not all keyboards like that too? OTOH your keyboard special buttons shouldn't work intermittently then.

When I reboot it's fine again. It may or may not happen the next session.

I used to have intermittent USB connection problems on my Vista PC, but it didn't affect my USB mouse, just other peripherals like cameras. Maybe it was because I didn't "disconnect" them properly in the Task Manager.

Forgot to say, the two desktop.ini files are normal.

Good, that just leaves the HDD file icons.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 19 2017, 07:06 AM
Post #113

🌟Computer says no🌟

I'm not talking about special keys (but the few I have work as they should without installation). I'm talking about assigning keyboard shortcuts to icons. Like I want Notetab to start when I press CTRL + ALT + N.

It's basically the same as with file associations. Didn't want to stick at first and now Windows all of a sudden can forget.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 19 2017, 09:33 AM
Post #114

Yes that sounds more like a software issue. Definately not the keyboard, and if all these things were from multiple disk errors the HDD ought to crash any second - unless all the problems boil down to one single user profile file that's broken - could that be the case?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 19 2017, 06:22 PM
Post #115

🌟Computer says no🌟

Alas no. I created another user with admin status early on. Same scheiße.

I've decided to reinstall. This can't be normal. I've heard other people have no problems to run x86 programs outside their assigned folder. That's pretty essencial for programs that use ini files, especially if you want them to be portable. I haven't been able to figure out where Windows keeps the shadow copy it's supposed to create and use instead of the real one. It most centainly don't have the same name as the original. This alone will be a problem for me in the long run.

But I'll be on computer vacation a little longer. I actually enjoy it. And I want to have enough free time to do things properly.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Nov 7 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #116

Any luck?

Now I had Win10 prompt me to choose a program for opening a file that I had already associated with a program. The short list of suggestions in the prompt of course only included Windows' own "apps". But after re-selecting the correct program in the "default by file extension" list it suddenly worked again. Don't know if it's a coincidence this happened soon after installing the large fall update.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 7 2017, 05:24 PM
Post #117

🌟Computer says no🌟

Now you know how it feels...

I haven't done anything about it yet. I've had other things on my mind. But I will reinstall. Once I get around to it.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Nov 8 2017, 04:02 AM
Post #118

It's happened to me a few times before when the PC was new (right after the 2017 spring Creator's update), but not until now after that. That's what makes me suspect the updates. I also recall reading others reporting the same thing. If it's a common phenomenon maybe reinstallation of Win10 won't help.

Does it happen frequently for you?

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 8 2017, 06:27 AM
Post #119

🌟Computer says no🌟

Yes and no. The associations I have stick. At least if the file is on C, it works now. But I still can't set associations from within the programs themselvs, not in most cases anyway.

Another thing that doesn't work that I haven't meantioned is to make programs start with Windows. It works with maybe 1/3 of the programs I've tried with. No go with the rest. Neither using the programs' Options nor adding an icon to the strartup folder works.

Yeah, as I said, every problem I've had seems common (the associations, the icons, the UAC thing...). But I've got them all. That's why I think the installation may be wonky.

I've stuck with the Windows firewall and anti virus for now. Isn't it ironic that they force OS updated on you but you have to update the virus definitions manually? That's about the only thing I would be fine with if it happened without my consent. wacko.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Nov 8 2017, 08:12 AM
Post #120

QUOTE(pandy @ Nov 8 2017, 12:27 PM) *

I still can't set associations from within the programs themselvs, not in most cases anyway.

Haven't tried that myself, IIRC. Online tutorials don't seem to mention that method either (from a quick search).

Another thing that doesn't work that I haven't meantioned is to make programs start with Windows. It works with maybe 1/3 of the programs I've tried with. No go with the rest. Neither using the programs' Options nor adding an icon to the strartup folder works.

Haven't tried that either. Do the programs show in the Startup tab in Task Manager?

Yeah, as I said, every problem I've had seems common (the associations, the icons, the UAC thing...). But I've got them all. That's why I think the installation may be wonky.

Or you're a power user. cool.gif I for one haven't fiddled that much with my installation.

I've stuck with the Windows firewall and anti virus for now. Isn't it ironic that they force OS updated on you but you have to update the virus definitions manually? That's about the only thing I would be fine with if it happened without my consent. wacko.gif

Seems to happen if you're on a Metered connection. It might be better if Windows searched for Defender updates but let you decide when to download them.

User is offlinePM

22 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:39 AM