Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How bad is Win 10?
pandy
post Sep 22 2017, 03:42 PM
Post #1

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

My computer has broken down. Yeah, again. I just bought a very slightly used one with a lot better components that I would otherwise afford.

It comes with Win 10 (Pro), I think. The guy hated it himself and recommended me to install 7 or 8 instead. 7 seems the least annoying, but support ends in less than 3 years. 8 seems pretty horrid too. So maybe I should just go with 10?

I've read about the murder of the start menu, that updates are forced and that you have no control of what and when. Is it as bad as I've heard?

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Sep 22 2017, 03:46 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Also, I'm on my phone and won't be around much until I have a computer again. I'll of course read any answers to this thread though. :-)
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Sep 22 2017, 04:44 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(pandy @ Sep 22 2017, 10:42 PM) *

It comes with Win 10 (Pro), I think.

Consider a clean reinstall, just in case...

8 seems pretty horrid too. So maybe I should just go with 10?

Yes, 8 (and 8.1?) is worse than 10 from what I read, so it's between 7, 10 or Linux.

I've read about the murder of the start menu, that updates are forced and that you have no control of what and when. Is it as bad as I've heard?

Perhaps with default settings, but a lot can be changed or removed.

There is a Start menu, and you can customize it and remove unwanted junk from it.

The flat user interface is a slight annoyance (hard to recognize clickable button, or if a menu needs to be scrolled), and user settings are found both in the old Control Panel and the new Settings, but it's no worse than the mess in previous Windows versions.

Forced updates can be postponed by setting your Internet connection type to "metered". You can't avoid security updates this way though, but even then they shouldn't restart the OS without consent.

I used third-party tools to disable as much spying as possible, and I of course wouldn't use any MS Cloud services or online accounts.

The security settings might be problematic in some cases. For example, my XAMPP installation is not allowed to access files in My Documents. Maybe it's possible to fix this somehow, but I simply moved my projects into XAMPP instead.

until I have a computer again.

Haven't you recieved it yet?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 22 2017, 04:58 PM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

I read that a cable connection can't be made metered. Not true? And if it can, can you somehow choose what updates to install or is it "install one and get it all"?

The start menu is a lesser problem since there are alternatives. But i've heard it's animated, filled with popup ads and that you can't order things as you want.

The flat look is a big problem for me. I found there is still a classic skin. Doesn't choosing that help?
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Sep 22 2017, 06:07 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(pandy @ Sep 22 2017, 11:58 PM) *

I read that a cable connection can't be made metered. Not true?

No, you can set that yourself (so far).

And if it can, can you somehow choose what updates to install or is it "install one and get it all"?

With metered on, you only get security updates, with it off I think you get everything. I've read it's possible to uninstall individual updates afterwards, in case something's broken, not sure.

The start menu is a lesser problem since there are alternatives. But i've heard it's animated, filled with popup ads and that you can't order things as you want.

Ads can also show up in Windows Explorer. wub.gif But it's possible to disable all of it (so far). You can change menu order too, but I'm not too experienced with it in any Windows version.

The Taskbar is a bit different (not sure about Win7). When you start a program, it's rectangular Taskbar button shows up where the Quick launch shortcut is located, pushing all the other quick launch shortcuts to the right. This took a while to get used to.

The flat look is a big problem for me. I found there is still a classic skin. Doesn't choosing that help?

Haven't bothered changing. It mostly a minor annoyance to me, like today's browser skins.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 22 2017, 08:49 PM
Post #6

🌟Computer says no🌟

You are probably right and I should go with 10. It's certainly the easiest and cheapest since it comes with.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 22 2017, 08:56 PM
Post #7

🌟Computer says no🌟

I'm not good at hardware, but I think it's a good buy, probably overkill for me.

Processor i5 6600 K, PS 750W, GeForce 1060 6GB, 16 GB RAM (DDR4), a 250 GB SSD and a nice case with some kind of cooler and a lot of fans. ;-)
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Sep 23 2017, 05:04 AM
Post #8

Looks like great specs, even for a gaming PC. Is it watercooled?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 23 2017, 11:07 AM
Post #9

🌟Computer says no🌟

Forgot to ask about the cooling. Haven't had anything like that before. Together with the screen i bought earlier I have feeling this will be a whole other experience than what I'm used too. But I didn't expect to have to buy a new computer this soon, so it's water and bread for me now.

Didn't see your question above. No, don't have it yet and haven't paid anything yet either. Hopefully the guy can deliver it himself on thursday. Otherwise it's DHL. Hope it works out, don't know hiw to do with payment otherwise
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 23 2017, 11:10 AM
Post #10

🌟Computer says no🌟

And why the heck isn't it easy to change the language for the spell checker on a phone? :mad:
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Sep 23 2017, 12:12 PM
Post #11

Thought you meant water cooled when you wrote "some kind of cooler"...
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 23 2017, 04:01 PM
Post #12

🌟Computer says no🌟

I don't know what kinds there are.

It looks like the offspring of a fan and a destillery. Sadly it's cheap but it gets good reviews. It's called "Be quiet! Pure Rock". biggrin.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Sep 23 2017, 06:12 PM
Post #13

That's a CPU air cooler. Just be careful that the motherboard doesn't become damaged during shipping, since the heat sink is a bit heavy. My PC shipped without any obvious problems though.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 24 2017, 07:51 AM
Post #14

🌟Computer says no🌟

Plan was the guy would deliver it himself on thursday when he was going to Stockholm anyway, but that has been changed to next week. He's changed his mind and is now reluctant to ship it - and he works at Dustin and can use their boxes and other stuff for safe transport!

Worst case scenario - I fetch it. By bus. :-( Well, could be nice actually. It's in Strängnäs where I haven't been since my teens. Guess I could make it an "utflykt".

We'll see. I'll talk to him tonight.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Sep 25 2017, 10:31 AM
Post #15

You could also repair the old PC. I always keep the last one for backup when I get a new.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 25 2017, 05:22 PM
Post #16

🌟Computer says no🌟

I'll fetch it myself tomorrow. I'll spend 4 huours on a bus. But can't wait any longer. I get kind if nentally blocked without a computer. It's going to be nice weather and I'm planning on some sightseeing. Haven't been to Strängnäs since I was a kid but as i remeber it it's a pretty little town. And I can get some points in GPS game I'm playing too. biggrin.gif

Yeah, I'm planning to keep the old one, buy some cheep parts and put Linux on it. I think the graphics card and the PS are good. It's a good case anyway. rolleyes.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 25 2017, 05:22 PM
Post #17

🌟Computer says no🌟

I'll fetch it myself tomorrow. I'll spend 4 huours on a bus. But I can't wait any longer. I get kind if mentally blocked without a computer. It's going to be nice weather and I'm planning on some sightseeing. Haven't been to Strängnäs since I was a kid but as I remember it it's a pretty little town. And I can get some points in a GPS game I'm playing too. biggrin.gif

Yeah, I'm planning to keep the old one, buy some cheep parts and put Linux on it. I think the graphics card and the PS is good. It's a good case anyway. rolleyes.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 25 2017, 05:25 PM
Post #18

🌟Computer says no🌟

Oh, I decided on win10. The guy will format and make a fresh installation so we can test run before putting it in a box.

I think the best thing will be to use a real keyboard again and to see what I'm writing...
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 27 2017, 06:43 AM
Post #19

🌟Computer says no🌟

Well, the computer is fast. smile.gif But the look and feel of Windows 10... My eyes hurt already - not joking. All this verbose text everywhere, the colors, no proper borders, program windows float into eachother *visually*... I don\t even manage to choose the color I want on the desktop. And yeah, the keyboard settings are screwed up somehow. That\s next.

Isn\t this supposed to be fun. It isn\t. And to explain, I can\t type a question mark, prim or paranthesis. ninja.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 27 2017, 06:53 AM
Post #20

🌟Computer says no🌟

Fixed the keyboard. Still sucks. Not even my beloved k-mel looks as it should. ninja.gif
User is offlinePM

22 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th March 2024 - 11:29 PM