Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking for a gallery app for Android
pandy
post Feb 9 2017, 03:33 PM
Post #1

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Yes, there are loads, I know. But all I've tried work the same way as the one that comes with the OS (or phone, whichever it is). When I create a new folder/album it copies or moves the images there. I don't want that.

On Windows I use a program called PhoA. Alas it doesn't seem to be developed anymore, there used to a support forum and stuff. It has a lot of features, but the main thing is it leaves my images alone where they are. It doesn't move or copy them. It works strictly with references. So an image can be in a lot of virtual folders but only one copy is on the disk.

So, that's what I'm looking for. An app that can create virtual albums so I still can have the physical image files ordered after date as a want them without getting duplicates.

smile.gif

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
thematrix
post Feb 16 2018, 09:06 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,584

Maybe you should check out- QuickPic - Photo Gallery with Google Drive Support. It has the functions you described.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 16 2018, 02:34 PM
Post #3

🌟Computer says no🌟

Thanks! Are you sure it doesn't move or copy images though? Reading the spec I get the feeling it does.

I bought a new phone just today, so I'll wait with trying until I have the basic stuff up and running.
User is offlinePM
thematrix
post Feb 19 2018, 08:22 AM
Post #4

I think it is able to both move and copy. I haven't really used it since I am an Apple user, but a friend of mine was using it a few months back for protecting her photos.
Which model have you bought I am seriously wondering to switch to Android?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 20 2018, 05:05 AM
Post #5

🌟Computer says no🌟

I found the webpage where there's more information than at Google Play. It can create "virtual albums" without moving or renaming files, so I'll definitely try it. Thanks again.

My new phone is nothing to brag about. I've used an Samsung S3 for ages and like it very much. But apart form being too old for some apps the USB connector is loose (hate those micro USB connectors!) and so is the one for the head phone. So when I dropped it for the 25th time or so and the glass eventually broke I realized it was time to say goodby.

Problem is I need a phone with a battery I can change myself. There are very few models to choose from with that feature today. Samsung got so much critique for no longer supplying phones with an (easily) exchangeable battery that they made and updated version of the last model with that feature and called it S5 Neo. That was what I was planning to buy. But when I got around to it had been discontinued.

So I ended up with a Motorola G5. Found a site that listed all current phones with an interchangeable battery. I didn't even know Motorola still existed. The spec looks good, the reviews are good. Only problem is Motorola is too cheap compared to other brands. Why? Well, I liked the look and feel when I tried it in the store and since there also was a special this week that made it super cheap I bought it. Haven't even unboxed it yet though. Time will tell. laugh.gif

So I can't really recommend any special android phone. My friends with newer Samsung models are pleased with them, but I have no experience myself.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Feb 20 2018, 07:27 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(pandy @ Feb 20 2018, 11:05 AM) *

the USB connector is loose (hate those micro USB connectors!) and so is the one for the head phone.

Are you sure it's not just pocket lint that's accumulated in the cavity? It can be removed easily with a needle.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 20 2018, 08:42 AM
Post #7

🌟Computer says no🌟

Alas, yes.

I use a lot of battery. That's why I need exchangable so I can carry spares. Plus sooner or later the battery is done and then it's very expensive if one needs to send the phone to Samsung or whatever brand it is to get it replaced.

When a phone is new it usually works well to use an external battery while using the phone. Then the micro USB connector gets loose. Is that what it's called in English? "Glappkontakt" in Swedish. Then all you can do is buy more internal batteries. I have two larger ones plus the original and some days that's not enough.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Feb 20 2018, 08:56 AM
Post #8

In that case I can only think of getting a wireless-charging phone --but does wireless work with external batteries too?

And of course disabling functions that drain a lot of battery, like screen, GPS, bluetooth, advertizing, crypto-mining malware etc. tongue.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 20 2018, 10:27 AM
Post #9

🌟Computer says no🌟

I don't use that much juice sitting at home texting. rolleyes.gif

I use it outdoors and yes, I use the GPS. And I sometimes listen to the radio or pods. With that use the batteries I have last me the whole day, most of time.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 20 2018, 10:56 AM
Post #10

🌟Computer says no🌟

Before you ask, no, I don't play Pokemon Go. laugh.gif
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Feb 21 2018, 01:05 AM
Post #11

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

I've had phones with user-replaceable batteries, but I've never had a second battery as a spare. The one time I bought a second battery, it was a replacement for an old battery that no longer held a charge. Not long after that, a few of the apps I used started complaining that the OS version was too old, and they could no longer update. I updated the OS as much as I could, but it wasn't much longer before it was effectively obsolete.

I do have a battery pack that will charge my current phone 3-4 times. It works pretty well for my needs.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 21 2018, 05:16 AM
Post #12

🌟Computer says no🌟

You probably don't need to charge as often as I do. I haven't had that many cell phones, but on all of them the micro USB connector has gone wonky and I hear the same from others. Shops are aware of it too. If one mostly uses the phone for calling and texting this is probably not a big problem.

Some newer phones has another type of connector now. Hope that one is more sturdy. I guess it will become the new standard.

It's sad anyway. My old phone still functions very well, I don't feel it's slow and there are just a few apps that don't work with it, the ones I really use are fine. Feels like a waste to trash a good phone - and a bunch of batteries - because of a couple of connectors. Well, and a broken glass. But that I can live with. tongue.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Feb 21 2018, 06:37 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(pandy @ Feb 20 2018, 02:42 PM) *

Then the micro USB connector gets loose. Is that what it's called in English? "Glappkontakt" in Swedish.

It could still be invisible lint tightly packed at the inside. I thought my own connector was deformed or worn until I read about lint and started prying with a needle, then a whole ball came out.

Then again these phones are designed to break after a while (planned obsolescence, just like Darin mentioned). Most Android phones won't get any OS updates, while the iPhone OS updates slow them down on purpose.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 21 2018, 03:27 PM
Post #14

🌟Computer says no🌟

Already removed the ball. Didn't dare to use a needle though, used a toothpick, I think.
User is offlinePM
thematrix
post Feb 26 2018, 03:38 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(pandy @ Feb 20 2018, 05:05 AM) *

I found the webpage where there's more information than at Google Play. It can create "virtual albums" without moving or renaming files, so I'll definitely try it. Thanks again.

My new phone is nothing to brag about. I've used an Samsung S3 for ages and like it very much. But apart form being too old for some apps the USB connector is loose (hate those micro USB connectors!) and so is the one for the head phone. So when I dropped it for the 25th time or so and the glass eventually broke I realized it was time to say goodby.

Problem is I need a phone with a battery I can change myself. There are very few models to choose from with that feature today. Samsung got so much critique for no longer supplying phones with an (easily) exchangeable battery that they made and updated version of the last model with that feature and called it S5 Neo. That was what I was planning to buy. But when I got around to it had been discontinued.

So I ended up with a Motorola G5. Found a site that listed all current phones with an interchangeable battery. I didn't even know Motorola still existed. The spec looks good, the reviews are good. Only problem is Motorola is too cheap compared to other brands. Why? Well, I liked the look and feel when I tried it in the store and since there also was a special this week that made it super cheap I bought it. Haven't even unboxed it yet though. Time will tell. laugh.gif

So I can't really recommend any special android phone. My friends with newer Samsung models are pleased with them, but I have no experience myself.

You are welcome!

Yeah, I also heard some good feedback on the new Samsung, but I am not yet sure. I am so used to the operating system now, so the transition will be tough. I've come across good feedback online from Motorola users, hopefully, it will be fine! Strange that their products are not heard of in years, only the main influencers on the market get all the hype and no one talk about it, too bad.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Feb 26 2018, 04:52 AM
Post #16

🌟Computer says no🌟

My impression is they are just not popular here. I mean popular as in "hot". Iphone, Samsung and so or are cool brands that make other envious. Motorola not so much. I read Motorola is very popular in for example India.

I haven't got around to using it yet. I'll tell you what I think when I do. I liked what I read about it though. Supposedly they don't force a lot of apps you don't want on you. That's a good start.
User is offlinePM
thematrix
post Feb 28 2018, 03:52 AM
Post #17

Yeah, but not always the "hot" and most expensive is the best. At least from my experience. In India, they are aware of that very well. Expensive brands like Apple and Samsung are doomed to failure because of companies like Desh Ka Smartphones and Mera Pehla Smartphone. They are the Apple and Samsung of India, so no surprise that those two companies can't make it big. But yeah, I would love to hear your feedback on Motorola. smile.gif
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 6 2018, 10:39 AM
Post #18

🌟Computer says no🌟

At long last I got around to installing the sim card in the new phone and actually check it out. So far I'm impressed. Some things are annoying, but most have to do with that Moto mainly uses native Android apps, like launcher, keyboard, SMS-app. So I guess it's a matter of finding replacements I like better. So far I've only replaced the launcher. Only way to get rid of the searchbar dear google forces on the home screen.

The one really bad thing is that apps and the files they use can be installed on the SD card. That's a bummer for me. I use map apps a lot and the topographical map of Sweden alone is several GB. You are supposed to be able to set the camera to save images on the SD card though.

Moto does some things differently, for instance the usual home button is replaced with their "one button". You can do stuff by swiping over the button. I like it.

The camera seems super. Images look crisp, better than those from my old phone. Haven't downloaded any yet, so it could partly be an effect of built in compensation. Time will tell. It has a pro button that lets me easily set ISO, exposure compensation and other things. Exposure compensation is accurate. On my old phone I could only set it in too big steps. This I can fine tune. There's also Live View, so I can see the effects of my changes directly on screen. Maybe this is all standard things now. I wouldn't know.

All in all I'm satisfied. Think I got myself a good phone for a fraction of the price of other brands. Touch wood. happy.gif
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Mar 6 2018, 11:36 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(pandy @ Mar 6 2018, 04:39 PM) *

The one really bad thing is that apps and the files they use can be installed on the SD card.

Did you mean to say they can't be installed on the SD card? If so I think Android always downloads apps to the phone memory, then you must move them to the SD card manually.

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 6 2018, 08:00 PM
Post #20

🌟Computer says no🌟

Yeah, can't. If I say you can't move them to and run them from the SD card it's maybe more correct.

Battery life is a little disappointing. But that's hard for me to judge. I've used extra large batteries for ages and for this phone I only have the standard one that came with. It comes with a quick charger that lives up to the promises. It's really fast. That's nice - if you are at home. No wall sockets where I use to go.
User is offlinePM

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:27 AM