Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Conditional Display
yacobito
post Jun 19 2016, 02:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,346

Hello All,

Backstory: I am incredibly inexperience in html coding, but have experience programing in other languages. I run a lab at the City University of New York with several tools that people come to use for their various research projects. I have effectively no IT support and am trying to figure something out on my own. We pay for lab management software that keeps track of tools and handles reservations, etc. The system is called Badger and they host our data on Amazon's servers. They provide a basic Dashboard that we use to display that current status of the lab. We run it on a monitor outside the lab and people can check on it from anywhere via the web as well. I have attached to source code for the Dashboard. It refreshes periodically. Its nothing proprietary and out there for anyone to see.

What I am trying to do is have a separate page, that pulls from the same data and displays information based on some conditions that I set. What i am interested most in is the data from:

url: 'http://cuny1.badgerlms.com:8080/WebServices/dash/inuse',

This lists all the tools that are currently in use. For example, in there you will see:

<td>Developer_Hood</td>\r\n \t\t\t\t\t\t\r\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\r\n\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t<td>jacob.trevino</td>\r\n

Which I have permanently "In Use" as an example. That is the tool and the person who is using it's name. There may be several others, which are actually in use, but we will use this one as an example.

What I want to do is have an additional monitor and raspberry Pi hung above this particular piece of equipment displaying a refreshing webpage that I create. At the lowest level, the goal is to have that page display Not in Use if it is not in use (this means it's not listed in the data that is pulled) and then if in use, display Developer_Hood and jacob.trevino. Aesthetics I can play with, but getting the data displayed is the primary goal.

What I think needs to happen is to pull in the data from the page, perform some conditional logic and display based on that. Is this something I can do using html or should I try to do something in Python or another language? It seems like it should be fairly simple, but again I am a novice.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Even just pointing me in a general direction would be so helpful.

Cheers.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Untitled_3.html ( 5.77k ) Number of downloads: 2282
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
CharlesEF
post Jun 20 2016, 02:11 AM
Post #2

Programming Fanatic

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,088

I'm not sure I can help. HTML is a markup language only (for display). It can't do any kind of programming. For that you would need some kind of server side language (PHP, ASP, etc...) to access the database where the information is stored and extract the information you want.

If you have no programming experience then you might have to pay someone to do it for you.

Or, have I misunderstood the question?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:14 PM