> Protocol and preferences, when using this site
James
post Jul 5 2007, 07:46 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 269

Hi,

I am a newbie and not sure if I am in the right area to ask this quesiton. I took it that this is where you ask about this WDG site functionality, but maybe it is where I ask how to make my own site more functional? Anyway, my question relates to this WDG site ...

When I post a 'New Topic',
and one of you learned ladies or gentlemen reply,
then we have two posts to read ... mine and yours.

What should I do if I want to reply to your reply?
Do I click on the reply button on your reply box, or post a reply to myself as if I were a third party?

There have been a couple of comments about 'double posts' and I think I might be the culprit. Further, I think the double posts might be occurring when I try and keep a dialogue going beyond the usual single question and single answer situation.

Looking forward to your advice,

Kind regards, James
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Frederiek
post Jul 5 2007, 08:16 AM
Post #2

Programming Fanatic

Group: Members
Member No.: 9

Since you are asking about the forum functionality, this topic would be better placed in the Administrative > Feedback and Assistance forum. But don't worry, if needed, an admin will move the topic to where it belongs.

See the help on how to start and reply to a topic: http://forums.htmlhelp.com/index.php?act=Help, in particular "Posting".

Having two topics on the same subject is confusing. Keeping only one discussion going in one thread on the same subject is much easier to follow for everyone. Don't you think?
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Jul 5 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #3

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

If you click one of the "REPLY" buttons at the bottom-right of an individual message in a thread, then that individual message will be quoted automatically in the template you're given. If you click on one of the "ADDREPLY" buttons at the top and bottom of the page, then nothing will be quoted in the template you're given. Otherwise, there is no difference. Both approaches keep your reply in the thread where it belongs.

Double-posts also happen when someone double-clicks on a submit button, because they're used to double-clicking on other stuff on their desktop.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:52 PM