Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's non-strict HTML?
Angus
post Aug 14 2008, 11:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,427

If I Google "non-strict html" I get surprisingly few hits. If I Google the same and limit the search to htmlhelp.com I don't get any hits that explain what it is--this site does list certain tags and attributes as "non-strict" but I can't find an explanation of what that means. My feeling is that it is something that is somehow only compatible in quirks mode, and shouldn't be used in standards mode. But I have a document that uses some of this non-strict HTML in a strict document, and I'm yet to be forced to regret it. So what is non-strict HTML then?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Aug 14 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Standards/Strict mode doesn't require a a Strict doctype. The doctype switching is a whole other ball game.

"Non-strict" probably refers to that the element or attribute in question isn't allowed in (X)HTML Strict. It could be allowed in (X)HTML Transitional or it's totally non standard.

You could say that Strict is core HTML. Transitional allows deprecated, mostly presentational, elements and attributes that Strict doesn't. So for example FONT could be said to be non-strict.

User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Aug 14 2008, 02:36 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7

See also http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/doctype.html which says

HTML 4.01 Strict is a trimmed down version of HTML 4.01 that emphasizes structure over presentation. Deprecated elements and attributes (including most presentational attributes), frames, and link targets are not allowed in HTML 4 Strict. By writing to HTML 4 Strict, authors can achieve accessible, structurally rich documents that easily adapt to style sheets and different browsing situations. However, HTML 4 Strict documents may look bland on very old browsers that lack support for style sheets.

User is offlinePM
Angus
post Aug 14 2008, 02:55 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,427

QUOTE(Christian J @ Aug 14 2008, 03:36 PM) *

See also http://htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/doctype.html which says

HTML 4.01 Strict is a trimmed down version of HTML 4.01 that emphasizes structure over presentation. Deprecated elements and attributes (including most presentational attributes), frames, and link targets are not allowed in HTML 4 Strict. By writing to HTML 4 Strict, authors can achieve accessible, structurally rich documents that easily adapt to style sheets and different browsing situations. However, HTML 4 Strict documents may look bland on very old browsers that lack support for style sheets.

So all this still begs the question: why have I been able to use non-strict elements and attributes in a strict document? What should the consequences of such a thing be?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Aug 14 2008, 03:06 PM
Post #5

🌟Computer says no🌟

Member No.: 6

Because browsers don't care. They don't use the doctype at all other than for this doctype switching crazy (the rendering modes). Had you tried to validate your HTML you would have been told about the non-strict stuff.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:54 AM