Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adding a new .html to an existing web page
Gardenmega
post Oct 15 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,635

Hey guys, first time poster here. I have some knowledge when it comes to designing a web site and I am stumped.

A little background behind what I am trying to do is to help a friend. My friend's grandpa has a website that is hosted on godaddy.com and he wants this one webpage to appear before the main webpage gets displayed. I can easily do this by utilizing their built in URL redirect. My issue comes in when adding this new .html page to the existing directory. The index file is index.php while the file I want to add is People.html. So once I add it to the directory it should then just be <domain>.com/People right? or am I wrong? Once I get this situated, I will just redirect to that page and be done... This may be an easy fix, but I am lost.

Please help.

Thank you,
-Gardenmega
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Oct 15 2011, 11:19 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

CODE
http://domain.com/People.html

or if this is done by relative URLs

CODE
People.html

or

CODE
/People.html

I don't fully understand what you are doing though. You say you want this new page to appear before the main webpage gets displayed. Assuming the main page is index.php, then if you redirect requests for index.php to People.html (and that's all you are doing) no one will ever be able to go to index.php .
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 16 2011, 08:21 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 7

Sounds like the OP wants People.html to be the site's default page (instead of index.php), and then let it redirect to index.php after a few seconds --is that correct?
User is offlinePM
Gardenmega
post Oct 16 2011, 04:11 PM
Post #4

Well I guess I wasn't clear, I put the people.html file in the directory folder, but when i go to domain.com/people.html nothing shows up except for page not foundl. So I guess that is my main issue at this point.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 16 2011, 04:24 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Gardenmega @ Oct 16 2011, 11:11 PM) *

the file I want to add is People.html. So once I add it to the directory it should then just be <domain>.com/People right?

No, it should be <domain>.com/People.html (<domain>.com/People normally looks for the directory People). Also note that web addresses are case-sensitive (unlike local Windows files).

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Oct 16 2011, 05:54 PM
Post #6

🌟Computer says no🌟

Member No.: 6

QUOTE(Gardenmega @ Oct 16 2011, 11:11 PM) *

Well I guess I wasn't clear, I put the people.html file in the directory folder, but when i go to domain.com/people.html nothing shows up except for page not foundl. So I guess that is my main issue at this point.

In your first post you said People.html with a capital P. Servers most often run on operating systems that are case sensitive, unlike Windows.
User is offlinePM
Gardenmega
post Oct 16 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #7

You guys are are awesome. It was the fact it was case sensitive. I totally forgot about that fact. Thank you so much! It works, And now I can do what I need to do in a little bit!

Thanks again!
-Gardenmega
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:06 PM