Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HTML Document help, New to HTML help please
Mr Awesomest
post Mar 13 2014, 05:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,529

I created a HTML document using a comic software that saves HTML document/files on my hard drive..................and now I can open the folder and click the link which opens the browser(I use Chrome) and link is below..........But what I need help in .....I want to use this comic book/slide with others online but don't know how and I don't want give them my local hard drive link? Hope you guys understand what I need....................please help................

My local file exr

file:///C:/Users/myname/Desktop/BRcartoon/BRcartoon.html

This comic book/slide also have sound and have multiple pages.

All and any help is appreciated....
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Mar 13 2014, 05:52 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

You already gave everyone your local link. But don't worry. No one can access your hard drive from the web. wink.gif

You need to upload your HTML file and all associated files on the web. For that you need a host (a company that lets people use their servers to publish stuff on the web). There are free ones, they usually have ads on the pages, and there are paid ones.

Since you've never done this before I suggest you get your feet wet with a free host. Alas I don't keep up with this, I don't know which are good today.

Oh, it could be that your ISP gives you some web space along with your internet subscription. Check that first.
User is offlinePM
Mr Awesomest
post Mar 13 2014, 06:14 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(pandy @ Mar 13 2014, 06:52 PM) *

You already gave everyone your local link. But don't worry. No one can access your hard drive from the web. wink.gif

You need to upload your HTML file and all associated files on the web. For that you need a host (a company that lets people use their servers to publish stuff on the web). There are free ones, they usually have ads on the pages, and there are paid ones.

Since you've never done this before I suggest you get your feet wet with a free host. Alas I don't keep up with this, I don't know which are good today.

Oh, it could be that your ISP gives you some web space along with your internet subscription. Check that first.

TVM to get me started........and now the second dumb question LOL...........since I've saved few html documents and each has different folder, so when I sign up for a free html web hosting so I need to just upload my HTML document(which is saved as a chrome link) or the entire folder?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 13 2014, 06:44 PM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

You need to upload all files that are used for the pages, the HTML, images, sound files and you must place them in such a way that they still work with the HTML. You don't need the top folder.

I can't say exactly how you should do without having seen the stuff. Maybe you should read a basic HTML tutorial to learn how a HTML document it linked together with images and so on. It's easy peasy, but you've got to know a little about how this works.
User is offlinePM
Mr Awesomest
post Mar 13 2014, 06:57 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(pandy @ Mar 13 2014, 07:44 PM) *

You need to upload all file that are used for the pages, the HTML, images, sound files and you must place them in such a way that they still work with the HTML. You don't need the top folder.

I can't say exactly how you should do without having seen the stuff. Maybe you should read a basic HTML tutorial to learn how a HTML document it linked together with images and so on. It's easy peasy, but you've got to know a little about how this works.

Thanks again, and I did upload all the files(html document, images, sound file) but I can't find my index.html file? it's not in the folder and I've uploaded all the other files to the web hosting....please help what is index.html and where can I find it on my hard drive?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Mar 14 2014, 05:15 AM
Post #6

🌟Computer says no🌟

Can you find the HTML files you uploaded and see them in a browser if you type their names?

index.html is (typically) the file that the server loads automatically when someone goes to a folder.

If you look at this URL for example...
http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/

http:// is the protocol, tells this is on the web and can be seen with a browser.
htmlhelp.com is the domain
reference is a folder inside the top folder
html40 is another folder inside the reference folder

So the folder part works in the same way as with Windows paths, only the slash is tilted in the other direction. But if you click that link a document loads, you see a html page. That page is the index.html. So you se the same if you go to http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/index.html .

If you have your html pages working I would create a new HTML document, call it index.html and place it in the top folder. In it you could have simple links to the other HTML files, like a table of contents. If you want it more fancy you could also write a little something, much as the index page I showed you.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:09 AM