The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> File manager not reading my files... encoding?
nella
post May 6 2008, 04:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,593

Hello,

I just got a domain name and hosting space to upload my website to (namecheap.com) This hosting service uses cPanel X as its control panel.

I am having problems viewing my files. It's not reading my codes and i only see my html code when i try to view the file. This is the error info they give me:

"We have attempted to auto-detect the encoding of this file. However, this is not a foolproof process since some files will display properly with multiple different encodings. You should select the encoding that this file was originally created with. It is very important that you select the proper encoding; saving your file with the wrong encoding may result in the corruption of your text. If you are only using a Western European language like English, Spanish or French without any special characters you can safely assume "ISO-8859-1" will work just fine. If you are using a non-western language or you have special characters that are not HTML encoded in your file, you should enter "utf-8". If your file appears with text like this: or You may have selected the incorrect encoding. If this happens, you should immediately abort the edit and select the correct encoding. You should not save the file; this will likely corrupt the text permanently."

I am given three options for selecting the character encoding to open this file with: binary, us-ascii, and utf-8. I have tried all three but i still get the same results... html code rather viewing the page. All my files end in a .html, so i can't figure out what the problem is. Am i doing something wrong? Can someone please help me?

Also, am i posting this question in the right topic?

Thank you.

-nella
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post May 6 2008, 04:57 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

So what encoding did you save the file with?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 6 2008, 04:59 PM
Post #3

🌟Computer says no🌟

It's not reading my codes and i only see my html code when i try to view the file

Actually, I would expect to see the code if I opened a document through a file manager. If you want to see the rendered page, go to its URL.
User is offlinePM
nella
post May 6 2008, 05:02 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(pandy @ May 6 2008, 05:57 PM) *

So what encoding did you save the file with?

.html
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 6 2008, 05:04 PM
Post #5

🌟Computer says no🌟

No, they mean the character encoding. Like if you saved as ANSI or UTF-8. But I actually think it works as it should.

There isn't much point in a file maneger showing you the page as it will look to others in a browser. You might want to use it to view the source though.
User is offlinePM
nella
post May 6 2008, 05:04 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(pandy @ May 6 2008, 05:59 PM) *

It's not reading my codes and i only see my html code when i try to view the file

Actually, I would expect to see the code if I opened a document through a file manager. If you want to see the rendered page, go to its URL.

Okay, so i'm not understanding. I am trying to see my page not as the HTML script, the code.... i want to see the code coded already... the actual page.. the display of the page... with the images and colours, etc.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 6 2008, 05:08 PM
Post #7

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(nella @ May 7 2008, 12:04 AM) *

Okay, so i'm not understanding. I am trying to see my page not as the HTML script, the code.... i want to see the code coded already... the actual page.. the display of the page... with the images and colours, etc.

Yes. So go directly to its URL. Let's say it's your index document. Then go to http://yourdomain.com/index.html .
User is offlinePM
nella
post May 6 2008, 05:11 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(pandy @ May 6 2008, 06:08 PM) *

QUOTE(nella @ May 7 2008, 12:04 AM) *

Yes. So go directly to its URL. Let's say it's your index document. Then go to http://yourdomain.com/index.html .

Yes, I have, and it says error. I don't know what i am doing wrong.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 6 2008, 05:12 PM
Post #9

🌟Computer says no🌟

What does the error message say? What you said above was when you used the file manger, right? Can you post the URL to the page?
User is offlinePM
nella
post May 6 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(pandy @ May 6 2008, 06:12 PM) *

What does the error message say? What you said above was when you used the file manger, right? Can you post the URL to the page?

This is the link to the page: http://www.antonellac.net/happenings.html
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 6 2008, 05:20 PM
Post #11

🌟Computer says no🌟

OK, so it isn't there. Maybe you put it in the wrong place. I don't know anything about NameCheap's setup, but often your home directory is one notch up from the web root. That is, the directory you "land in" when you FTP isn't accessible from the web. Usually there is a directory called 'www', 'html_docs' or similar where you should put everything you want to be on the web. Could that be it?
User is offlinePM
nella
post May 6 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(pandy @ May 6 2008, 06:20 PM) *

OK, so it isn't there. Maybe you put it in the wrong place. I don't know anything about NameCheap's setup, but often your home directory is one notch up from the web root. That is, the directory you "land in" when you FTP isn't accessible from the web. Usually there is a directory called 'www', 'html_docs' or similar where you should put everything you want to be on the web. Could that be it?

Yes, they have this:

/home/*****/ - This is your home directory. All of your files are stored within this directory. Files placed directly in this directory will not be visible on the internet. You will start out in your home directory when connecting by FTP, Web Disk or the File Manager.

/home/****/public_ftp/ - This is the directory used for anonymous FTP access. Any files in this directory can be downloaded by anyone if anonymous FTP access is enabled.

/home/****/public_html/ (www) - The public_html directory contains the files for your site. Files in public_html and any subdirectories of public_html will be able to be viewed by anyone on the internet.. (/home/nnisp/www/ is the same directory as /home/nnisp/public_html/).

I am uploading my files and creating files in /public_html/
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 6 2008, 05:31 PM
Post #13

🌟Computer says no🌟

Sounds right. Now I'm befuddled. unsure.gif

Are you sure about the name? All lower case letters and so on? Could you upload an index.html (it could be blank) and see if it replaces their default page?
User is offlinePM
nella
post May 6 2008, 05:38 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(pandy @ May 6 2008, 06:31 PM) *

Sounds right. Now I'm befuddled. unsure.gif

Are you sure about the name? All lower case letters and so on? Could you upload an index.html (it could be blank) and see if it replaces their default page?

I've uploaded a blank index.html in the public folder, and it did not replace their default page.
User is offlinePM
nella
post May 6 2008, 05:57 PM
Post #15

By the way, every time i try to view the .html page, it asked me to download it. I'm not sure if that information helps.
User is offlinePM
Brian Chandler
post May 6 2008, 11:20 PM
Post #16

Jocular coder

Member No.: 43

QUOTE(nella @ May 7 2008, 07:26 AM) *

<snip>

/home/****/public_html/ (www) - The public_html directory contains the files for your site. Files in public_html and any subdirectories of public_html will be able to be viewed by anyone on the internet.. (/home/nnisp/www/ is the same directory as /home/nnisp/public_html/).

I am uploading my files and creating files in /public_html/

Well, /public_html/ is not the same as /home/****/public_html/, where **** is replaced by your user id...
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 7 2008, 02:00 AM
Post #17

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(Brian Chandler @ May 7 2008, 06:20 AM) *

Well, /public_html/ is not the same as /home/****/public_html/, where **** is replaced by your user id...

Wasn't that nella's way of wring it short though?

QUOTE(nella @ May 7 2008, 12:57 AM) *

By the way, every time i try to view the .html page, it asked me to download it. I'm not sure if that information helps.

When you try to view it from the file manager? It could be a feature, I suppose.
User is offlinePM
Frederiek
post May 7 2008, 02:37 AM
Post #18

Programming Fanatic

Member No.: 9

When going to http://www.antonellac.net/, there is definitely a page, with a missing image (16_francescano_bargellini_aclemenzi.jpg) and a link to enter the site (which returns a "404 not found" error.
The page happenings.html also returns a 404.

View your pages in a web browser. A File Manager would typically only manage files, as the name already implies.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 7 2008, 03:02 AM
Post #19

🌟Computer says no🌟

smile.gif Ah, progress has been made! What was the problem, nella?
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:37 PM