pandy
post Dec 2 2018, 01:22 AM
Post #1

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Thought this was a little funny.
https://www.sonniesedge.co.uk/posts/a-day-without-javascript

But it isn't JavaScript, really. It's extensive use of JS and... everything else.

I've kept a copy, several copies actually, of the odd browser OffByOne for ages. Can't remember the purpose of the browser anymore, if there ever was one. No JS, no CSS, no frames, no anything. It's good for a quick check of how a page works with nothing but HTML. But sometimes I wander of on the web with it. Not many sites work with it but those that do are FAST.
http://offbyone.com/offbyone/ob1_download.htm (site works erratically ATM it seems).
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Dec 2 2018, 04:55 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 7

I still keep JS off by default in a couple of my browsers. The majority of sites still seem to be at least functional, especially the informative ones, but I've increasingly had to switch to my JS-enabled browsers the last couple of years for sites with commercial content.

But it isn't JavaScript, really. It's extensive use of JS and... everything else.

A good compromise is to enable JS but block third-party resources. Browser extensions like uMatrix make this easy, and as a bonus you don't need to download all the script files that you're not going to run anyway. Alas it doesn't seem to help against the annoying "This site uses cookies" popups that today's sites harass users with, seems they are usually same-origin.

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 3 2018, 11:03 AM
Post #3

🌟Computer says no🌟

I think it would be better if JS wasn't overused in the first place. tongue.gif

K-Meleon is the only browser I know that has disabling of JS and a whole lot of other things easily available on a tool bar, called privacy bar. An admirably thin toolbar at that.

CSS can be easily disabled too, something browsers are required to provide but don't. I have to use a menu for that though. Don't know why that isn't on the privacy bar as well.

Attached Image
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 3 2018, 12:27 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(pandy @ Dec 3 2018, 05:03 PM) *

I think it would be better if JS wasn't overused in the first place. tongue.gif

But... but then there would only be content left. blink.gif

K-Meleon is the only browser I know that has disabling of JS and a whole lot of other things easily available on a tool bar, called privacy bar. An admirably thin toolbar at that. CSS can be easily disabled too,

Opera12 lets you add toggle buttons for JS, as well as forcing User Mode with your own style sheet (or none). http://matejhorvat.si/en/unfiled/opera12.htm

In Firefox I'm very pleased with the UI of the uMatrix addon: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/11/28/a-umatrix...de-for-firefox/ it basically blocks all 3rd party requests by default (you can whitelist sites) but again it doesn't block same-origin requests. The Noscript addon was good (but complex) before FF57 (Quantum) came out, not so sure about the new (post-Quantum) version.

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 4 2018, 12:30 AM
Post #5

🌟Computer says no🌟

That's good. So Opera has kept at least something from their grand past.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Dec 4 2018, 06:00 AM
Post #6

No, Opera12 was the last old one, the link above is on how to keep using it securely.

Vivaldi is closer to the old Opera than the new one, but I haven't investigated its capabilities for a while now.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:04 PM