Reply to this topicStart new topic
> iframe?, iframe?
Katiw
post Sep 15 2006, 11:33 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 140

Hello,

I am creating a website and have a ? about frames. I have a menu along the top. When an item in the menu is clicked a new graphic will show in a table cell below lower on the page. Do I do this using iframe? any other ideas?

Thanks!
Katie
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Darin McGrew
post Sep 15 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

The the FAQ entry: How do I make a link or form in one frame update another frame?

For inline frames, see: IFRAME - Inline Frame in our HTML 4.0 Reference
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Sep 15 2006, 12:27 PM
Post #3

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Katiw @ Sep 15 2006, 06:33 PM) *

When an item in the menu is clicked a new graphic will show in a table cell below lower on the page. Do I do this using iframe? any other ideas?

This could be done in several ways:

* By making a second page, identical except for the changed image. This is a good solution if the pages don't take too long to load.

* With frames/iframes, but they create their own problems: http://htmlhelp.com/faq/html/frames.html#frame-problems

* With javascript. If this is used and the image is important you should make sure the image can be viewed even when JS is disabled. You should also make sure the menu does not become uselessif JS is unavailable.

What does the rest of the page look like? Are there lots of images you want to change this way?
User is offlinePM
Katiw
post Sep 15 2006, 12:43 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 140

Thanks for explaining the options.

I thought about using multiple pages....but when I want to make overall changes it would be too much.

Here is a link: http://www.whiteandpartners.com/new/advertising.html

When you click on the icons on the top panel, I want an image to be below (a different one for each icon above..there will be more but only one now).

QUOTE(Christian J @ Sep 15 2006, 01:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Katiw @ Sep 15 2006, 06:33 PM) *

When an item in the menu is clicked a new graphic will show in a table cell below lower on the page. Do I do this using iframe? any other ideas?

This could be done in several ways:

* By making a second page, identical except for the changed image. This is a good solution if the pages don't take too long to load.

* With frames/iframes, but they create their own problems: http://htmlhelp.com/faq/html/frames.html#frame-problems

* With javascript. If this is used and the image is important you should make sure the image can be viewed even when JS is disabled. You should also make sure the menu does not become uselessif JS is unavailable.

What does the rest of the page look like? Are there lots of images you want to change this way?

User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Sep 15 2006, 01:24 PM
Post #5

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE(Katiw @ Sep 15 2006, 10:43 AM) *
I thought about using multiple pages....but when I want to make overall changes it would be too much.
Only if you create all the pages by hand.

Here's a photo gallery that uses a separate page for each photo. The separate pages are generated automatically, not by hand.

See also the FAQ entry: How do I include one file in another?

QUOTE(Katiw @ Sep 15 2006, 10:43 AM) *
I get a blank page.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:02 AM