... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Bing indexed wrong page
philwinter
post Jan 5 2012, 04:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,712

Hello, I hope this topic is not too far afield. A while back, I created a web site for a client which has an embedded slide show on the home page. This slide show resides in a folder separate from the normal page HTML. My client called me this morning to report that when he does a search for his site in Bing, it displays the slide show but without the surrounding home page. In other words, Bing has indexed the slide show page instead of the home page.

To (hopefully) fix this problem, I (1) removed anything that could be used as a keyword from the slide show itself, (2) I changed directories for slide show, and (3) I renamed the old slide show directory so that Bing would not find it any more. So far, that has worked, but now I get a page not found if I do a Bing search - but I expected that. My questions are (1) is there a way to force Bing to index the index.html page? Secondly, is there any way to get rid of the search results that produce the page not found error. Or, do I simply have to wait until Bing re indexes the site and hope for the best? BTW, Google has not had this problem.

Thanks for any help.

Phil
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Christian J
post Jan 5 2012, 05:42 PM
Post #2

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

QUOTE(philwinter @ Jan 5 2012, 10:19 PM) *

(1) is there a way to force Bing to index the index.html page?

Bing probably has, but perhaps ranks it much lower than the framed(?) slideshow page. Can't say without seeing the site, though.

Secondly, is there any way to get rid of the search results that produce the page not found error.

Don't know about Bing, but I recall Google has sometimes linked to pages for a long time after they're gone.

I'd put the slideshow directly in the index page file (using no frames or iframes). Then I'd either put a new page at the URL where the slideshow used to be, containing a link to the index page and this directive in the HEAD section:

CODE
<meta name="robots" content="noindex, follow">

or make the server send a permanent redirect header from the removed URL to the index page (details depend on server).
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:56 AM