The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HTML Email Signature fonts reverting to Times new roman when installed on outlook, HTML email signature with several different fonts- works on every sing
Emilyeagleowl
post May 9 2019, 07:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 26,889

Hi guys,

I have posted on here about the same topic but here I am again.

I have finished coding my companies HTML email signature and it works I have installed it on lots of email profiles within the business. On most of them it looks lovely and works great.

The funny thing is on three of the outlook accounts the fonts that should be in calibri will not display and defaults to Times New Roman. But the other fonts are working.

Some colours are not displaying properly and defaulting back to black but only on a few email profiles.

We are using the latest version of outlook.

Has anyone else else had a problem with outlook and HTML signatures fonts?

I have posted a sample copy of the code that is working on most accounts.

blink.gif

Thanks guys!

This post has been edited by Emilyeagleowl: May 9 2019, 07:08 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  sample_of_code_for_forum_times_new_roman.txt ( 3.5k ) Number of downloads: 410
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post May 9 2019, 08:48 AM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

QUOTE(Emilyeagleowl @ May 9 2019, 02:06 PM) *

The funny thing is on three of the outlook accounts the fonts that should be in calibri will not display and defaults to Times New Roman. But the other fonts are working.

So is this Calibri font installed on those computers? More importantly, it needs to be installed on the recipient's computer to display. It sure isn't on mine.

I meant to mention this before, but forgot about it. This is the reason why you always should use backup fonts and a generic font family.

Assuming Calibri is a sans-serif you could go something like this.

CODE
font-family:Calibri, Arial, sans-serif;

Of course you don't need to use Arial. You can use any font and any number of them. But finishing off with a generic font family is important, so you are at least sure you get the right type of font.
User is offlinePM
Emilyeagleowl
post May 10 2019, 05:59 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(pandy @ May 9 2019, 08:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Emilyeagleowl @ May 9 2019, 02:06 PM) *

So is this Calibri font installed on those computers? More importantly, it needs to be installed on the recipient's computer to display. It sure isn't on mine.

I meant to mention this before, but forgot about it. This is the reason why you always should use backup fonts and a generic font family.

Assuming Calibri is a sans-serif you could go something like this.

CODE
font-family:Calibri, Arial, sans-serif;

Of course you don't need to use Arial. You can use any font and any number of them. But finishing off with a generic font family is important, so you are at least sure you get the right type of font.

Hi thanks for your reply! I see what you mean, I think. When you say installed on the computer and precipitants computer? I mean all outgoing emails are composed using the calibri font as a default is that what you mean? Or is there another way to install fonts?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 10 2019, 08:41 AM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Fonts aren't "embedded" in the email. Neither are they in web pages (although there are means to make uncommon fonts accessible from the web now).

YOU see Calibri because you have the font file installed on your computer. If you sent me an email I would read it with another font because I don't have Calibri.

So, normally fonts are taken from the user's/recipient's computer, you can only hint what font you want. If the specified font exists that will be used. If it doesn't the font will default to something else.

Here's where a list of fonts in CSS is useful. In my example above Calibri will be the primary choice. If it isn't available Arial will be used. If Arial isn't available either any sans serif font will be used. So by listing fallback fonts that are similar to your preferred one, you are at least sure you won't get Times, but something that at least resembles your favourite one.

Not sure how well this works in email, but I think it works.
User is offlinePM
Emilyeagleowl
post May 14 2019, 02:48 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(pandy @ May 10 2019, 08:41 AM) *

Fonts aren't "embedded" in the email. Neither are they in web pages (although there are means to make uncommon fonts accessible from the web now).

YOU see Calibri because you have the font file installed on your computer. If you sent me an email I would read it with another font because I don't have Calibri.

So, normally fonts are taken from the user's/recipient's computer, you can only hint what font you want. If the specified font exists that will be used. If it doesn't the font will default to something else.

Here's where a list of fonts in CSS is useful. In my example above Calibri will be the primary choice. If it isn't available Arial will be used. If Arial isn't available either any sans serif font will be used. So by listing fallback fonts that are similar to your preferred one, you are at least sure you won't get Times, but something that at least resembles your favourite one.

Not sure how well this works in email, but I think it works.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh I see what you mean now that makes more sense, so it gives it more of a chance of looking like you initally designed despite not knowing what the recipient has installed. I get it. I will try that solution as you suggested.

Thanks again for your help smile.gif .
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:43 AM