> HEADINGS, As much of a b*tch as a Question
UptonGirl
post Aug 26 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,577

But a question still.

Web standards demand that H1 be used only once per page.

The others may be used multiple times (if I understand correctly) but must be in order.

I can't see the reason in this. I presume there is one, and someone will know what it is. Hopefully someone who will explain it to me.

At the moment - it reminds me of some of my Bostonian childhood rules - such as under what circumstances a lady (read: any human female showing, or soon to show, any sign of puberty) must, or must not, wear gloves and what color, and length -- wrist length and white with only the slightest detail for the street, thank you.

Common conversation with my 20-something son - who was raised in a semi-rural hippie-esque world:

Son, looking at old snapshots:

Mom, you're in a sleeveless dress here, so it wasn't cold. But, you have on gloves! Why gloves? Was there something wrong with your hands?

Me:

No, dear - it was just the mid-60's in Boston.

Son:

Huh?

That's the b* part - now the question:

WHY?

If I like a size or style I have set for a heading - and want to use it in a spot that is "out of order" what's the problem? Yes, I can recreate the style with a css tag. But again why?

I understand this hierarchy is custom - but does it have a function? If so, what is it?

This post has been edited by UptonGirl: Aug 26 2009, 12:07 AM
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Darin McGrew
post Aug 28 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

I'd either put it all one one page, or I'd split it into one page per section. I'd avoid putting a couple sections on one page, and a couple sections on another page.

If it is all on one page, then I'd use H1, H2, etc. as described above.

If it's split onto multiple pages, then I'd use H1 for "DOMESTIC CATS" on the main TOC page, and then I'd use H1 for the chapter headings on the individual pages ("Common shorthair", "Common longhair", "Hairless cats", etc.), and I'd include some other indication (e.g., breadcrumb links) that each document is part of a larger collection.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:10 AM