> Need help in accessibility issues
SSharma
post Oct 29 2014, 03:29 PM
Post #1

Novice

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,712

Hi,

My project is to make a portal accessible. In executing the accessibility guidelines, i m facing a problem dis guideline-----
H30: Providing link text that describes the purpose of a link for anchor elements --- http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/NOTE-WCAG20-TECH...5/H30#H30-tests

Can anyone help me in getting wat it does actually mean by saying it so? as I got stuck at this link

<li><a href="@PortalMVC.Utilities.BaseAddress/CoursePlan/@Utilities.User.ID" class="plan-icon"><span class="icon">@Resources.Strings.SideMenu_CoursePlan</span></a></li>
nd not getting whether do I need to include the decription for this link too?? If yes, den how?

User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Oct 29 2014, 04:04 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

They mean a meaningful link text so people understand what they can expect if they click the link. In your example the link text is @Resources.Strings.SideMenu_CoursePlan which is probably confusing. Simply Course Plan would be better.

Like if you link to htmlhelp.com, it would be OK with "The Web Design Group", "WDG, helpful site about HTML" or something like that, but not so good with "Cool site!" that doesn't say anything about what the site/page is about.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 29 2014, 04:14 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(SSharma @ Oct 29 2014, 09:29 PM) *

Can anyone help me in getting wat it does actually mean by saying it so?

What is unclear in this text:

"The objective of this technique is to describe the purpose of a link by providing descriptive text as the content of the a element. The description lets a user distinguish this link from other links in the Web page and helps the user determine whether to follow the link. The URI of the destination is generally not sufficiently descriptive."

? Or do you mean the test section in your link:

"1. Check that text or a text alternative for non-text content is included in the a element

2. If an img element is the only content of the a element, check that its text alternative describes the purpose of the link

3. If the a element contains one or more img element(s) and the text alternative of the img element(s) is empty, check that the text of the link describes the purpose of the link

4. If the a element only contains text, check that the text describes the purpose of the link"

?

as I got stuck at this link

<li><a href="@PortalMVC.Utilities.BaseAddress/CoursePlan/@Utilities.User.ID" class="plan-icon"><span class="icon">@Resources.Strings.SideMenu_CoursePlan</span></a></li>
nd not getting whether do I need to include the decription for this link too??

The URI of the link above isn't very descriptive, so yes I'd suggest something more readable. What to use as link text depends on the content of the linked page, which I know nothing about.

If yes, den how?

Come again? unsure.gif

User is offlinePM
SSharma
post Oct 30 2014, 08:50 AM
Post #4

Novice

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,712

thnx guys...but i got my solution...i jst needed to include the title attribute in the link to be it descriptive. thanks @pandy
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Oct 30 2014, 09:22 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(SSharma @ Oct 30 2014, 02:50 PM) *

i jst needed to include the title attribute in the link to be it descriptive.

That's not a good substitute for a descriptive link text. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mystery_meat_navigation
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:05 AM