Reply to this topicStart new topic
> font-style issues
minidiapolis
post Mar 10 2008, 02:32 PM
Post #1

Serious Coder

Group: Members
Member No.: 57

On http://www.fountainchurch.org the font should be arial, but it isn't, is it? Also, is there anyway to outline each letter in black? To my knowledge there isn't but I wanted to check.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Darin McGrew
post Mar 10 2008, 03:39 PM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

It looks like you've confused font-style with font-family. No, "arial" is not a valid value for font-style.

Also, the text still looks huge, the pseudo-background image still looks funny when the browser window is taller than it is wide, and the pseudo-background image still makes the text hard to read. And in my browser right now, the link text on the left overlaps some of the content text in the middle. You've got bigger problems than whether Arial is showing up or not.
User is offlinePM
minidiapolis
post Mar 10 2008, 06:21 PM
Post #3

Serious Coder

I know, I got interrupted and am just now getting back to adjusting the font size. Is there anyway to outline each letter in white?
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Mar 10 2008, 06:41 PM
Post #4

WDG Member

CSS 3 may introduce the font-effect property, with possible values of emboss, engrave, and outline, but I have no idea when browsers will support it.
User is offlinePM
minidiapolis
post Mar 10 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #5

Serious Coder

Here's the problem. . . my client likes the fountains in the background and he understands that as it stands now it's very hard to read. His idea is if I designed it in microsoft publisher and use some font effects. But my concern is not every computer will have those effects, right? I don't know how to keep the background images and have it be readable.
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Mar 10 2008, 07:32 PM
Post #6

WDG Member

There are two basic ways to use background images while keeping text content legible. One is to fade the images, reducing their contrast. The other is to use high-contrast images for the general page background, but to specify a plain background behind the text content.

Text over high-contrast images just doesn't work.
User is offlinePM
minidiapolis
post Mar 10 2008, 08:11 PM
Post #7

Serious Coder

I sat down with him today and that's the lightest he wants to go with the images. Am I correct that font styles in microsoft publisher may not show up in some browsers?
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Mar 10 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #8

WDG Member

I have no idea what MS Publisher does with font styles, but no font styles will show up everywhere. Some browsers don't use fonts. Some are configured to ignore document fonts or document CSS. Some are configured with minimum font sizes or other features that interact with (or override) document fonts/CSS. Some can be configured for such things on one site, but not on others.

The web is polymorphic. IMHO, it's more productive to embrace this fact than to fight it. See also Web pages aren't printed on paper.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:31 AM