... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Cost of hosting online forums
Christian J
post May 1 2018, 03:21 PM
Post #1

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

How much does it really cost to run a relatively small* web forum (say 50-100 active users, and hosted in a "first world" country)? A few different examples have made me wonder. One forum collects US$ 3000/year in donations and advertizing, but still asks for more. In contrast, another forum's owner says about US$ 200/year will suffice. Other forums ask for nothing.

* Not sure how to define the "size" of a forum --is it the disc space required for old posts (and maybe lots of large images)? Or is it the data transfer, which may vary hugely depending not only the member activity but also on the amount of content/bloat and bots that keep requesting it?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Christian J
post May 1 2018, 04:11 PM
Post #2

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

True. Still, it's not that common with heated discussions involving hundreds of posts and dozens of people, at least not on the forums I'm thinking of. Add to that the data transfer savings you get with Ajax-driven forums.

$3000/year sounds like a lot to me, even if you rented a dedicated server (which you shouldn't need for such small forums, or?).
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:08 AM