The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Embarrassingly Silly Newbie Question, Browsers [Chrome, Firefox, IE] Won't Recognize Basic Tags
jaker
post Nov 26 2009, 05:31 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,438

Hello All!

I beg your patience w. me as a newbie trying to learn HTML. Between the asterisk lines is a trivially simple file that I saved on my PC as a local file, "Simple.htm", and, yes, it really does have the ".htm" suffix.

<html>
<body>
<h1>Ay, Carramba!</h1>
<p>My first paragraph.</p>
</body>
</html>

When I open the file using any of the three browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox), I get all the text as text, starting with: "<html>", but the tags are not being "read" by the browsers. (If they were, I should get as first line, "Ay, Carramba!" in large-size font.) What am I missing? Thank you!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Darin McGrew
post Nov 26 2009, 06:08 AM
Post #2

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

What software did you use to create the file?

Did you use the "Save as HTML" function? If so, then it doesn't matter if the text you entered looks like HTML. The software did the necessary conversions so the HTML document would display the text you entered, as you entered it.
User is offlinePM
jaker
post Nov 26 2009, 06:27 AM
Post #3

Darin, thank you! I did "Save as HTML" using Microsoft Works & also used "HTML Publish" w. WordPerfect. I saw what you are driving at, so then I simply saved this simple text into a Notepad ".txt" file and tried to open if w. browsers: same story. **Is there a way to save a text file with a ".htm" suffix?** I guess that that is what my problem boils down to. I have Windoze XP Home edition, and could find no easy way to change file suffix using "Properties" for the file. Do I need to go into DOS to do this? If so, how? Thank you.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 26 2009, 06:50 AM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

QUOTE(jaker @ Nov 26 2009, 12:27 PM) *

I simply saved this simple text into a Notepad ".txt" file and tried to open if w. browsers: same story.

In this case it's probably because the .txt extension makes the browser render the document as text, i.e. the unparsed markup is displayed. Try again with notepad, but choose "All files" from the "Save as type" dropdown and then manually type in the html extension.

I don't know about the other programs, but they sound like some kind of Word Processors and possibly aren't suited for HTML for other reasons than your currrent problem. I recommend that you download a plain text editor that is a little more fun than Notepad, but until then Notepad is fine.
User is offlinePM
jaker
post Nov 26 2009, 07:12 AM
Post #5

Thank you so much, Pandy & Darin! I figured out how to save a text file so that it has a ".htm" extension, or how to convert it from ".txt" one if need be. Thanks again! I'm all set with this.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Nov 26 2009, 07:38 AM
Post #6

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

I mad a typo above (corrected now). I meant NotePAD, not NoteTAB as I accidently wrote. Not that there is anything wrong with Notetab, I use it myself, but that's another matter.

You are welcome. smile.gif
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:32 PM