Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Special Shaped Dialogs
GoJoeGo
post Sep 1 2006, 10:09 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 49

Hi everyone,

I recently have been seeing special shaped pop-ups on different sites. I would like to do some of this, but I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have an idea?

Also, I would like to cause an html file to open as a specific size and location on the screen. Where do I start?

Thank you,

Joe
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Frederiek
post Sep 1 2006, 10:30 AM
Post #2

Programming Fanatic

Member No.: 9

I recently have been seeing special shaped pop-ups on different sites. I would like to do some of this, but I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have an idea?

What do you mean by special shaped pop-ups? Can you post an address (url) of a sample?

Also, I would like to cause an html file to open as a specific size and location on the screen. Where do I start?

See the FAQ.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 1 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #3

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Hi! smile.gif

QUOTE(GoJoeGo @ Sep 1 2006, 05:09 PM) *

Uhm, no. Can you show us an example?

That's easier. That would be a JavaScript popup. I think you'll find most you need to know here: http://www.pageresource.com/jscript/jwinopen.htm .
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 1 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

The more the merrier! tongue.gif
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Sep 1 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #5

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE(GoJoeGo @ Sep 1 2006, 08:09 AM) *
Can you post the URL (address) of an example? I don't think I've ever seen one.

My hunch is that it's some variation of the CSS/JavaScript "pop-up" that isn't really a pop-up.

QUOTE(GoJoeGo @ Sep 1 2006, 08:09 AM) *
Please see the FAQ: http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/links.html#window-specify
User is offlinePM
GoJoeGo
post Sep 1 2006, 12:16 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 49

I don't have an example. The special shaped pop-up is usually on the netscape news page.

What I am trying to do is when a user clicks on my test.html page, it opens a browser window/dialog at a set size without all the toolbars and stuff. I don't want to cause the browser to open like normal.

Is this possible? I have written many html pages for normal web sites, but can I use html+ for dialogs?

Thanks,
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Sep 1 2006, 12:27 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Darin McGrew @ Sep 1 2006, 05:34 PM) *

My hunch is that it's some variation of the CSS/JavaScript "pop-up" that isn't really a pop-up.

Yes, such ads started to show up as soon as IE offered a popup blocker. They are not a separate HTML document, just a part of the parent page which is shown/hidden with CSS and javascript.

For ordinary popups (where a separate HTML document is opened), see the FAQ link already posted.
User is offlinePM
Tina Holmboe
post Sep 1 2006, 12:27 PM
Post #8

WDG Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 40

The "specially shaped" dialogues in question are quite likely a combination of shaped images with transparent backgrounds and text "layered" on top - a combination of HTML, CSS and Javascript/ECMAscript.

As with all pop-up techniques, and the opening of windows, it is suggested that care be taken. It is difficult to make accessible, and rarely does it do the visitor any favors.

A crude example - only tested in Opera 9 - can be found at http://www.fogdo.net/tmp/shaped.html

User is offlinePM
pandy
post Sep 1 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #9

🌟Computer says no🌟

QUOTE(GoJoeGo @ Sep 1 2006, 07:16 PM) *

What I am trying to do is when a user clicks on my test.html page, it opens a browser window/dialog at a set size without all the toolbars and stuff. I don't want to cause the browser to open like normal.

Is this possible? I have written many html pages for normal web sites, but can I use html+ for dialogs?

Yes. How to do that is explained in the FAQ Darin and Frederiek linked to and at the site I linked to.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:44 AM