... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How to refer to parent URL from iFrame contained in parent URL's page
lunghd
post Sep 18 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 160

Hello - I'm a total cut & paste hack with limited knowledge who's learning as he goes so please be kind & excuse if I use the wrong terminology...

I'm setting up some iFrames on my site where that I can alter their contents globally across the entire site rather than modify them page by page.
For now, the iFrames simply will contain a page index, google search & a print button. The "print button" feature really isn't important but is an easy tool for me to learn this with.

Right now - what I'm primarily trying to learn is how to call a up the parent page's URL to be used by various functions "called up / contained within" an iFrame.

In the example I'm working on, the "Print This Page" button contained inside the iFrame prints nothing but the contents of the iFrame itself. Ok - that makes sense & I can understand why it does that... it's contained inside it's own "page" (the iFrame itself) and it's doing what it's made to do... "Print this page" (the iFrame's contents).

What I am hoping to learn how to do is create a means to call up the parent page's URL which originally contained the iFrame - no matter what page is actually loaded by the visitor. Only a few of my pages were set up this way before I found this glitch in my grand scheme... but here is an example page showing things as they are:

Example page: http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Body/Hinges.htm

And the iFrame page currently to be loaded globally: http://www.lunghd.com/index_frames/iFrame_Index.htm

There are tantalizing bits out there on how to do nearly the reverse - reading or calling up things contained inside an iFrame, displaying different contents within an iFrame, etc... but I seem to be trying to accomplish the opposite by calling the parent page's URL to direct an action carried out by a script inside the iFrame.

I appreciate any insight, guidance or severe beatings.

(FWIW... I use HotMetalPro6.0. which doesn't comply with anything more modern than the jawbone of an antelope.)

This post has been edited by lunghd: Sep 18 2006, 08:17 PM
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:55 PM