Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access my website, Computer died w/website info
Ginia
post Jul 18 2015, 01:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,007

My website <http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bianco/index.html>
is inaccessible to me because the computer's motherboard went kaput. dry.gif Is there any other way for me to gain access to my website?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Jul 18 2015, 03:17 PM
Post #2

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

Do you mean acessing files on the server? That can be done with any computer and an FTP program (assuming you have the login details).

The MSIE browser can also be used for FTP (haven't tried the latest versions though).

Some webhosts let you edit files in a browser from a web interface, but to judge from the URL this webhost appears to be rather old and may not offer that.
User is offlinePM
Ginia
post Jul 18 2015, 04:51 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 23,007

QUOTE(Christian J @ Jul 18 2015, 01:17 PM) *

Do you mean acessing files on the server? That can be done with any computer and an FTP program (assuming you have the login details).

The MSIE browser can also be used for FTP (haven't tried the latest versions though).

Some webhosts let you edit files in a browser from a web interface, but to judge from the URL this webhost appears to be rather old and may not offer that.

Yes, I want to access the files so I can take down the website. How do I do that? Is MSIE compatible with Macintosh? Couldn't I just use Safari or Chrome?
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jul 18 2015, 09:22 PM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

Member No.: 6

Is the problem that you've lost your login details? If so, contact your host and explain the situation. I guess rootsweb isn't a host per se, more of a service, but they are the only ones who can help you.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Jul 19 2015, 07:29 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Ginia @ Jul 18 2015, 11:51 PM) *

Yes, I want to access the files so I can take down the website. How do I do that?

You might ask the host to cancel the entire site account (same way as you originally created the account), but then you need some kind of credentials like username and password.

If that doesn't work, you might use an FTP program to remove the files (but not the actual account). "Filezilla" is good and free and is available for Mac too. Then you need the FTP login details.

If you haven't kept your username/password or FTP login details for your web site written down on paper, they might still be salvaged from the hard disk drive on the broken computer, but then you must connect that drive to another computer.

Is MSIE compatible with Macintosh? Couldn't I just use Safari or Chrome?

There was an IE/Mac long time ago, but it was different from the Windows version. I don't think Safari or Chrome offers file transfer either.
User is offlinePM
Terminator
post Jul 19 2015, 10:45 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 22,398

Could they help give your login or delete the page at the help desk?

http://rootsweb.custhelp.com/app/ask
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:17 AM