Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tall screen, one column, wide screen, two columns
ugcheleuce
post May 1 2015, 12:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,543

Hello everyone

I have a tall screen (1920x1080) and I'm making a web site (mostly for my own use) that works well with such a layout. Currently, the pages use HTML 3.2 tables, because it serves my purpose.

Each page contains an image of about 780 pixels wide, plus text inside PRE tags that is also a maximum of about 780 pixels wide (on my screen, with default zoom, etc). The image is a scanned page from a book, and the text is the same text, converted to plain text, just like the scanner converted it.

It occured to me that I might want to view the pages on a wide screen sometimes, and this means that the text should be to the right of the image... but only if there is enough room on the right-hand side of the image. I don't want the text to wrap, and I don't want the text to flow off the screen.

I guess this could be done using simple positional CSS, am I right? So essentially, I want two "boxes" on my page that will display above-and-below if the screen is narrow, and side-by-side if the screen is wide enough.

Can anyone here please tell me how to do that? It doesn't have to look beautiful.

Thanks
Samuel
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post May 1 2015, 01:07 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Two DIVs, one or both of them floated left. Floats automatically rearrange themselves if there isn't room for them to be side by side.
User is offlinePM
ugcheleuce
post May 1 2015, 01:28 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,543

QUOTE(pandy @ May 1 2015, 07:07 PM) *
Two DIVs, one or both of them floated left. Floats automatically rearrange themselves if there isn't room for them to be side by side.

Thanks for the helpful answer. In the mean time I also found this:
http://learnlayout.com/media-queries.html
but your comment helps me understand what's happening. With a bit of tinkering I was able to get the effect I wanted.

==
Hmm, I see no option to mark the thread as "solved"...

This post has been edited by ugcheleuce: May 1 2015, 01:29 PM
User is offlinePM
pandy
post May 1 2015, 06:12 PM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Good you solved it. We don't mark threads solved or lock them. It's enough you told us.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:56 AM