The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tumblr fix – too much space between certain posts., Massive gaps of space between every other post
909Chan
post May 26 2016, 03:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,277

Hi there,

I am new here. I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to help me out with this issue with my Tumblr blog that I have been trying to fix for ages!!

My Tumblr URL is: www.channelwavey.com

If you scroll down my Tumblr page you will see that there is a large amount of space between certain posts, and a "normal" amount of space between other posts. I would like to fix this so certain posts don't have massive gaps between them....I'm not sure why this issue is only affecting certain posts, but it makes the blog look really untidy. I'm sure it's a really obvious fix but I've tried everything. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot!!!
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Frederiek
post May 28 2016, 08:37 AM
Post #2

Programming Fanatic

Member No.: 9

All posts use absolute positioning for their container ARTICLE element. I don't suppose you calculated the top values for all of them.

I've seen using absolute positioning a lot on Tumblr pages. It's poor coding, as now you are stuck with it.
Maybe you should try to find another similar theme that doesn't use absolute positioning.
User is offlinePM
909Chan
post May 28 2016, 09:56 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Frederiek @ May 28 2016, 08:37 AM) *

All posts use absolute positioning for their container ARTICLE element. I don't suppose you calculated the top values for all of them.

I've seen using absolute positioning a lot on Tumblr pages. It's poor coding, as now you are stuck with it.
Maybe you should try to find another similar theme that doesn't use absolute positioning.

Hi, thanks for your response. So there is no way I can rectify this manually/easily by adjusting the code? I had thought it was going to be a quick fix.
User is offlinePM
Frederiek
post May 28 2016, 04:08 PM
Post #4

Programming Fanatic

I don't think you see the top values in your HTML page upon editing the page, do you?
Maybe it's even a script that takes care of it, I really don't know, as I have no knowledge of Tumblr coding. I've only helped my daughter with some CSS on her Tumblr pages.

So, I'm afraid there's no quick fix for this. You might try to find a Tumblr coder who can help. You'll need to search on Tumblr for that.
User is offlinePM
909Chan
post May 31 2016, 12:22 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Frederiek @ May 28 2016, 04:08 PM) *

I don't think you see the top values in your HTML page upon editing the page, do you?
Maybe it's even a script that takes care of it, I really don't know, as I have no knowledge of Tumblr coding. I've only helped my daughter with some CSS on her Tumblr pages.

So, I'm afraid there's no quick fix for this. You might try to find a Tumblr coder who can help. You'll need to search on Tumblr for that.

That is bad news for me. I don't really have any knowledge of Tumblr coding either so not quite sure what to do, but thanks for your help.
User is offlinePM
Frederiek
post May 31 2016, 02:18 PM
Post #6

Programming Fanatic

You're welcome, although that all I tried to help didn't help much.

Much on Tumblr seems to have absolute positioning, which, I think, isn't always a good idea.

One wonders how Tumblr template coders always seem to code like that, probably not much thinking about responsive design, I suppose.
Besides, each page needs its own (duplicated) CSS without being able to use just one CSS file to be able to use in all pages, like you would on a normal web site. It would be so much easier for all those Tumbler users who don't have much knowledge of HTML/CSS coding to be able to do so.

Maybe you can find a (partial) page without absolute positioning that suits your needs.
My daughter has a page made with AP too, but she has dropdown menus inside that page. But when the dropdown occurs, they overlapped other elements on that page, which, of course, she would have liked to have avoided. But with AP, that's a no go.
But hey, unfortunately, that's how Tumblr works.

Sorry about the ranting, but at least now you know with what you are stuck with.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:34 PM