The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creatives are suddenly jumping out of their areas.
DocHolliday2006
post Jun 16 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,108

Hi.

I've been running an ad using the google doubleclick program since March with no problems.

Suddenly this week, despite not even logging into Doubleclick or making any changes to the code on any of my pages, one of my larger ads is jumping outside of the space alloted for it and into my text. To make it even stranger, it will only do this periodically. IOW, sometimes the ads are being served correctly, but sometimes they get messed up. I have cleared my cache and reproduced the error in firefox and safari.

You can see this happening on this page.

Continue to hit refresh as my ads cycle until my large green/yellow square ad to the top left of the center column for "The Raw Food Lifestyle Ebook," appears. It may take a dozen refreshes or more to see it for the first time.

You'll see that sometimes my ad appears within its normal area, but sometimes it "jumps" out and partially covers the text to the right of it.

So my assumption was this was an error with doubleclick, but after having a lengthy discussion on that forum, the consensus seems to be that it's not doubleclick, which leaves me with the HTML on my site.

For lots of background info that we went back and fourth on at the doubleclick forum, read the discussion.

I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Thanks,
Andrew

This post has been edited by DocHolliday2006: Jun 16 2010, 03:46 PM
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Jun 16 2010, 04:06 PM
Post #2

Don't like donuts. Don't do MySpace.

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

I see the same ads all the time. The Raw Food is in the right column, right under the bodybuilder book (or whatever) and there it stays.
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Jun 16 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #3

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

You'll see that sometimes my ad appears within its normal area, but sometimes it "jumps" out and partially covers the text to the right of it.
What "text to the right of it"? There isn't anything to the right of the ads.

In what browser(s) do you see the problem?
User is offlinePM
Frederiek
post Jun 17 2010, 01:55 AM
Post #4

Programming Fanatic

Member No.: 9

It's about the images and main text in the middle. On each reload, another image is randomly loaded.
I see the effect the OP is talking about in Safari/Mac:

Attached Image Attached Image

The validator chokes on the DOCTYPE, probably because the word "html" is written in uppercase. Correcting that, a lot of errors turn up. They have to do with the fact that you use a XHTML DOCTYPE, but don't close "empty" elements properly.

Also, one of your scripts seems to fetch an entire other html page, with doctype, head and all. You only can have one DOCTYPE, HEAD and BODY in a page.
I suggest you start by correcting the errors the validator will find.
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Jun 17 2010, 09:54 AM
Post #5

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Inspecting the elements in Chrome, it seems to be triggered by using "display: inline-table" on one of the ins elements that contains the iframe element. But since I don't see that in the markup, I'm assuming that it's the JavaScript that generates the ad, and that you'll have to fix that.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jun 17 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #6

Don't like donuts. Don't do MySpace.

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

The ads still don't rotate for me. Where Frederiek says I see Vibrance Mag. Gave up after hitting F5 bout 20 times.
User is offlinePM
Frederiek
post Jun 18 2010, 01:32 AM
Post #7

Programming Fanatic

Member No.: 9

There seem to be three images, the ones you and I have seen and another Vita-Mix.

I see a parse error on line 250 (maybe that's why Pandy doesn't see the rotation):
<script type="text/javascript">FB.init("0fbbff8d3e517716fcba7a4eff0ea93</script>

The FB.init() function lacks a closing quotation mark and isn't closed.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2019 - 11:44 PM