Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help with uploading
gsd12345
post Apr 3 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,031

I am trying to upload a page to my domain name but it is not connecting to read it. Is it because I have no webspace, or does the domain name automatically give me web space? If I need to get webspace how do I link it to my domain name. I hav eseen you can get free webspace from ,for example, angelfire, but will I then have to make the angelfire address part of my name. Bit confused so any help is apprecited. This is something of an emergency as I need the page on line this evening.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
George in TX
post Apr 3 2007, 05:25 PM
Post #2

Novice

Member No.: 42

Let's take this a step at a time. You've done the first step, buying, or more accurately leasing, a domain. That gives you the right to use that domain name until the contract runs out. However that does not give you any web space to upload your site to. You need to lease hosting space to do that. There are many places to get hosting and you're on your own finding them. You might start at Web Hosting Talk.

When you've found a host that meets your expected bandwidth and usage needs then contact them and arrange hosting. Give them your domain and they'll handle the job of pointing the DNSs at the place on their server they've reserved for you. Just be patient as it might take as much as 48 hours to propogate the information to the Domain Name Servers scattered all over the world.

Good luck!
User is offlinePM
KristinK
post Apr 4 2007, 02:34 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,508

You could also use the free web space at angelfire- or wherever, then pay a host to forward to that space- so someone could type in www.yourpage.com. Then, the company you pay forwarding costs to, will automatically connect the user to www.yourpage@angelfire.com. I think it's only $6 a year for the forwarding.
Kristin
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Apr 4 2007, 02:50 PM
Post #4

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

QUOTE(KristinK @ Apr 4 2007, 09:34 PM) *

You could also use the free web space at angelfire- or wherever, then pay a host to forward to that space- so someone could type in www.yourpage.com. Then, the company you pay forwarding costs to, will automatically connect the user to www.yourpage@angelfire.com. I think it's only $6 a year for the forwarding.
Kristin

This probably involves using a frameset that cloaks the free web account. Much better to rent real web space.
User is offlinePM
glenninoh
post Apr 7 2007, 06:23 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,457

would it be improper to offer my hosting solution to this person? I'm new to the forum and I don't want to get hammered for my posting.
User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Apr 7 2007, 08:54 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(glenninoh @ Apr 7 2007, 01:23 PM) *

would it be improper to offer my hosting solution to this person?

Afraid so, commercial solicitation is not allowed.

However you can submit to the Hosting Providers forum.

User is offlinePM
Christian J
post Apr 7 2007, 12:10 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Brian Chandler @ Apr 7 2007, 05:20 PM) *

Yes, but we've been here before - see http://forums.htmlhelp.com/index.php?showtopic=583

To avoid going off-topic I've moved your reply to the existing thread linked above.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:26 PM