Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Web form - required input
EileenK
post Nov 28 2006, 12:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,140

I am a hopeless newcomer to html etc. I've created a html form to be filled out to gain access to our library's wireless connection. I'd like to require that the form actually be filled out before letting people move on but I've been told that html won't do that for me, that I have to use Java or cgi. I'm sure that is true but is there some place where I can see - read copy - a script that I can use? I just don't know how to do it myself but I'm pretty good a amending someone else's stuff until I learn to do it myself. What I need exactly is for the form to be filled out, then cleared after submission so the next person doesn't see any previous information, and a popup message telling people that all fields are required if they don't put something in each one.

TIA
EileenK
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Nov 28 2006, 12:22 PM
Post #2

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

See http://htmlhelp.com/faq/html/forms.html#required-fields

The point with the client-side javascript (not java) is to check the form before actually submitting it, so the user doesn't have to reload the page again which might be tiresome on slow connections.

The real checking is done in the server-side script. It doesn't have to be a CGI-script, you can also use PHP, ASP or whatever language your current form handling script is written in.

What I need exactly is for the form to be filled out, then cleared after submission so the next person doesn't see any previous information

Don't know if that's possible without closing the browser window containing the form.
User is offlinePM
JamieHarrop
post Nov 28 2006, 12:45 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 570

I use the PHP script from DBMasters on all my Web sites. It has proven to be secure, and does a great job of delivering form results to multiple recipients and requires users to fill in any number of required fields.

http://www.dbmasters.net/index.php?id=19

As long as your Web host uses servers which support PHP, I think you will find that script to meet your needs.

This post has been edited by JamieHarrop: Nov 28 2006, 12:46 PM
User is offlinePM
Brian Chandler
post Nov 29 2006, 06:20 AM
Post #4

Jocular coder

Member No.: 43

It makes a huge difference whether this is Real Security (examination candidates must not be allowed to see previous answers) - which is difficult, almost impossible to enforce - or just a casual thing for a game or something.

Why are different users using the same computer?
User is offlinePM
EileenK
post Nov 29 2006, 08:43 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,140

Well our real problem is that we can't use php or ASP because the server needs to be upgraded with the current version OS and Netscape Enterprise Server. That won't happen for a few weeks but in the meantime I need to get a form up. I did get some help from a friend with a javascript that will do the trick. Thanks for all of your great answers. I appreciate the feedback. I've got a lot to learn!
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:31 AM