Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> how realistic is my intended project
Schicksal
post Jan 1 2010, 08:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,742

I'm thinking about designing a job search website for a game that I play online. I'd like to have employer and applicant profiles as well as a method of searching profiles by various parameters. Ideally I'd like to eventually be able to attach employer reviews and references to profiles. Also statistics like average ratings of factions (employers) in various categories like pay and IRC activity by their members. So basically the whole thing would run like a social networking site without the friending and with very limited profile customization. I'd settle for less than what I've listed, but that's the full idea.

So my question is... how would I get started with this? I don't know any web programming languages, but I could learn one and it's just for fun so I don't have a deadline. What languages would I want to learn and/or what free programs would I want to use? I'd be willing to pay for domain and hosting if it's reasonably cheap. Is this a realistic project for a newbie?
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Jan 1 2010, 09:41 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Do you know any programming?
User is offlinePM
Schicksal
post Jan 1 2010, 09:51 PM
Post #3

If basic counts then yes. I've done a little tinkering with java but I wouldn't claim knowledge of it.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jan 2 2010, 03:35 AM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

I'm not the right person to answer since I'm not a programmer. But since no one else bites... I think it will be pretty hard. I doubt you can find already written scripts you can modify, since your needs sound rather specialized. But what the heck, go for it! Sooner or later you will be able to do what you want and you'll learn something useful while you try. Dreams should be pursued. happy.gif
User is offlinePM
Brian Chandler
post Jan 2 2010, 09:24 AM
Post #5

Jocular coder

Member No.: 43

Yes, it seems like a sizeable project, but no it doesn't sound impossible.

Yes, pay (little) for a proper hosting service that gives you PHP and a MySQL database. (I use pair.com, who I recommend.) No, you don't need to pay anything for "fancy" (and useless) "website creation software".

Start at the beginning: you need to learn to generate a web page using PHP. (Sorry, can't recommend any particular tutorial. I read a book called "Web Database Applications with PHP and MySQL" (Williams and Lane), but I would not recommend it.

Use PHPMyAdmin for doing the database setup... Eventually the hard part of the project you've mentioned will be providing a decent interface for users to update these jobs (or whatever it was). So make a test version by hand in PHPMyAdmin, then do the easier job, which is just presenting information that is already in the database.

HTH
User is offlinePM
Tom H.
post Jan 2 2010, 10:24 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 14

I would consider using a modular CMS (Content Management System) or framework, such as Drupal.
User is offlinePM
Brian Chandler
post Jan 2 2010, 12:07 PM
Post #7

Jocular coder

Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Tom H. @ Jan 3 2010, 12:24 AM) *

I would consider using a modular CMS (Content Management System) or framework, such as Drupal.

Perhaps, if your object is to get something working quickly. But you won't learn how to build a database-backed web system for yourself, which I think is what the OP is after.
User is offlinePM
Schicksal
post Jan 2 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #8

Yeah, i like to know how things i make work. So, PHP sounds like a great place to start so I'll start chewing on that. Thanks for the advice guys! Anything further would still be appreciated.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Jan 2 2010, 05:44 PM
Post #9

🌟Computer says no🌟

Break a leg! happy.gif
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:57 PM