Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Excessive code using Freeway Pro?
firemandave
post Dec 31 2008, 01:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,438

I just built a web site on my mac using Free Pro 5 from Softpress. I uploaded the site to the server and every thing looks OK. ( Looks OK as in everything works but the site still needs a lot of work)

My question or concern is did Freeway 5 produce a lot of extra code as opposed to hand coding or some other method??

When I visited my site and viewed the htlm code through Firefox it seemed like a lot of code for not a lot of stuff on a page.

If you could go to www.uniongunrights.com and view the code and tell me if thats to much html and if there is a better way build the site.

I'm using a trial version and its about to expire. I don't want to spend $279 bucks for a web site builder that is going to spit out massive amounts of code thats not necessary

Thanks
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
pandy
post Dec 31 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #2

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

Yes, but all WYSIWYGs do. It's not that bad. It could be a lot worse. At least it's valid.
http://www.htmlhelp.com/cgi-bin/validate.c...s&input=yes

This isn't totally accurate, a project I never finished, but it gives you a ballpark figure.

CODE
The size of all your markup is: 10465 bytes.
That's 78% of the total document size that is: 13432 bytes.
The document also contains 6 tables.

By doing it by hand and ditching tables I think about 80% less code would be needed, but that's just a guess.
User is offlinePM
firemandave
post Dec 31 2008, 02:18 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,438

Valid is important. All this web site stuff is kinda complicated when you don't know what your doing.

I could ditch the "tables" if I knew how or what exactly you meant by tables. HTML or graphic item "box"??

I'm still working on a decent design/page lay out but might as well start learning some code too.

Thanks for the input.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 31 2008, 02:30 PM
Post #4

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

HTML tables. Your WYSIWYG uses them, excessively, for layout, which they aren't meant for.
http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/tables/

To not use tables for the layout would mean you'd have to use a little CSS, but not much. A handwritten table layout would also be smaller than what you have now.

I'm still working on a decent design/page lay out but might as well start learning some code too.

Absolutely! smile.gif

There are other advantages than size. You know what you are doing and can make changes more easily if you do it by hand. I good text editor is helpful once you get the speed up, but to start with the most simple one will suffice.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:12 AM