The Web Design Group

... Making the Web accessible to all.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Images loading but not displaying, Images that aren't in the original landing screen aren't being
traininvain
post Dec 28 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,418

Hi,

I am currently working on this site: www.shovelleduplikemuck.com/pbemff.

When the page loads only the images that are in the landing screen are displayed straight away. When you scroll down to view the bottom of the webpage those images have not loaded, and normally take about a minute to do so. What would cause this?

Cheers
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Frederiek
post Dec 28 2008, 03:28 PM
Post #2

Programming Fanatic

Member No.: 9

I don't see that (Safari/Mac).
The page weighs 18.0 Kb, while the total page weight is 436.0 Kb, when all images are there, including the hovered ones for the navigation.

You might consider using image sprites, since you already use CSS for the hover states.

User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Dec 28 2008, 03:33 PM
Post #3

WDG Member

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Ultimately, the cause is using images of text, rather than using real text. But you're using images of text just for the headings, and your images don't seem that big.

Anyway, to me it looks like a slow server, or a server with a slow connection to the net.
User is offlinePM
traininvain
post Dec 28 2008, 06:43 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,418

Brilliant, cheers for that. Out of interest, how does the site realise that the images I'm using is text and cause the images to be treated differently? Ultimately all images are just pixels arranged in a certain manner regardless of what they are put together to resemble
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Dec 29 2008, 12:05 AM
Post #5

WDG Member

Out of interest, how does the site realise that the images I'm using is text and cause the images to be treated differently?
The server doesn't treat images of text any differently from other images. It's just that each image of text replaces several bytes of text with at least several kB of image. As a result, the whole page takes longer to load, and if the server or connection is slow, then the delay for the images to load is especially noticeable. If the connection has good bandwidth, but significant latency, then the delay for each image is worse because the browser will create a separate connection for each image.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 29 2008, 04:37 AM
Post #6

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

If the connection has good bandwidth, but significant latency, then the delay for each image is worse because the browser will create a separate connection for each image.

How is that? Some kind of time-out issue? Please elaborate a little. This is interesting. smile.gif
User is offlinePM
Darin McGrew
post Dec 29 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #7

WDG Member

With good bandwidth, big images can be transferred quickly, but with significant latency, each round trip to the server takes a long time, even if the file being transferred is small. I've watched people use such connections before. It's kinda weird. Each image appears very quickly, once it appears. You don't see the browser slowly painting the image as it downloads. But it takes a while for the images to show up, because each request is slow. Aggressive caching can improve repeat visits to a given URL, but the first hit on a new URL is slow.
User is offlinePM
pandy
post Dec 29 2008, 04:23 PM
Post #8

🌟Computer says no🌟

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 6

I think I understand now. Thanks. happy.gif
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:51 AM