Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Web Design as Career
Harmonz
post Dec 5 2007, 02:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,481

I am trying to evaluate if there is enough call for independent web page designers to warrant my spending much time to get proficient at the work.
I need to work from home.
I have made web sites for various people using apps like Freeway on the Mac (usually for free).
I have lost opportunities to do some paid web work (web maintenance and minor redesign) because the task required a knowledge of code and familiarity with managing a constantly changing internet database of thousands of items for sale. I have been paid to do data entry for one of these.

I have gotten the impression that there are some web designers with years of experience who are scrounging for work. However, I could have misunderstood their sales tactic.

What is the truth.
Is there work to be found or is there a decreasing need for the independent web designer.
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
Toggle Multi-post QuotingQuote Post
Christian J
post Dec 5 2007, 06:02 PM
Post #2

Group: WDG Moderators
Member No.: 7

I think there is constant demand, but finding the customers (or having the customers find you) is the hard part.

Another problem is that people with basic skills in using WYSIWYG editors (like Dreamweaver) are too common, making it hard to compete with low prices. Learning more of course requires much more time invested, probably you can find more profitable ways to use that time.

A third problem is that most customers can't tell a good programmer from a bad one, at best they can judge a visual designer's skills (that say nothing about a site's functionality or usability). If you have a talent for the visual part it will probably be a huge advantage.

A fourth problem is that larger clients may prefer to contact an established web design company rather than someone working from home, who may or may not be around next year. One idea might be for you to work as a freelancer for such established web design companies, OTOH no new customers will get to know you that way.
User is offlinePM
nWo Sting
post Dec 9 2007, 01:55 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 709

I think the market for web design is very competitive. You really have to rely on your sales technique nowadays.
User is offlinePM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:51 PM